Pennsylvania Sports Betting
DraftKings’ offer is a straightforward deposit match.
DK will match 20% of your initial deposit up to $1,000. Deposit $5,000 when you open your new account and DraftKings will deposit an additional $1,000. You will have $6,000 to bet on sports.
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager.
If the bet loses, FanDuel will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $1,000.
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager.
If the bet loses, TwinSpires will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $100.
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager. If the bet loses, BetMGM will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $1,000.
Plus a multisports promo: Bet $10 Win $200
BetRiver’s offer is a straightforward deposit match with ONLY 1x rollover.
Get a 100% match of your initial deposit up to $250.
Deposit $250 and BR will deposit an additional $250. You will have $500 to bet on sports.
Fox Bet’s offer is simple. Enjoy a 100% risk-free bonus of up to $500.
If the bet loses FOX Bet will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets. Also, take advantage of a $25 free bet when you refer a friend.
PointBet’s offer is simple.
Up to $1,500 back if you lose your first Pointsbetting wager and up to $500 back if you lose your first fixed odds wager.
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager.
If the bet loses, Unibet will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $500 (PA).
Note: In IA, IN, and VA the risk free bet is $100 and in NJ and AZ it is $250.
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager.
f the bet loses, Betway will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $1,000.
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Pennsylvania is one of the leading jurisdictions for sports betting. The Keystone state welcomed its first retail sportsbooks in late 2018, with online services quickly following. At the helm of this booming industry is the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB).
The Board is in charge of ensuring that Pennsylvania sportsbooks are operating in good faith. Players here can wager on a variety of activities, from professional to college sports. Only high school sports are off-limits.
With a population of over 13 million, Pennsylvania is the 5th most populous state in the United States. So, it comes as no surprise at all that this jurisdiction has attracted the best sportsbook app operators in this industry. In online gambling, competition means bonuses, and players in Pennsylvania will no doubt benefit from a variety of offers.
Getting started in these sportsbooks is a breeze. You need only complete a simple registration process, and then fund your account with the many secure payment options available.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In Pennsylvania
- There are multiple sports betting platforms in Pennsylvania where you can bet. This includes land-based establishments and online sportsbook apps.
- The sports betting market in this state is safe. The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board oversees all sports gambling activities here.
- You have an impressive selection of safe payment methods. Your options range from cash, e-wallets, debit cards, and more.
- Unlike other legalized jurisdictions which only allow betting on professional teams and out-of-state college sports, in Pennsylvania, you can bet on local collegiate events.
- The sports betting regulatory requirements in Pennsylvania are very demanding. This means only the best of the best can operate here. Players benefit from the higher quality of operations.
- Operators pay a king’s ransom to work in Pennsylvania. For example, just the licensing fee alone will set you back $10million. Sportsbooks here are at a disadvantage and are more inclined to provide less rewarding bonus offers.
- Sportsbooks can only offer odds on aspects directly tied to the sporting event. Punters looking for NBA or NFL draft action, for example, cannot bet in Pennsylvania.
- Punters in Pennsylvania pay tax from $600 in winnings. The amount you pay depends on your income bracket, but you can end up paying over 35% of your winnings in tax.
- Some operators do not have both Android and iOS apps. Players need to make do with the web browser app.
- Only one skin is allowed for every sportsbook operator.
Would We Bet On Sports At Pennsylvania Sportsbooks?
In Pennsylvania, sports betting has been around for a while. This is a plus because by now we expect that they have ironed out all the kinks. This market has a great offering and features in-state college sports betting. The regulatory framework, however, is exclusionary.
The PGCB demands high license fees, which makes it difficult for smaller players to come in. That said, it also means only the best of the best will succeed. The large population of Pennsylvanian punters also keeps potential stakeholders interested. We guarantee players here fun and secure gambling experience.
Whether you prefer betting online or in land-based establishments, you won’t struggle to find a place that suits your needs. Pennsylvania plays host to some of the best sportsbook operators in this industry. You can also try your luck by playing at Pennsylvania online casinos.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
Signing up for a new user account in Pennsylvania is a breeze, no matter which sportsbook you choose. But, did you know you need not be within Pennsylvania state lines to do it? If you are from out of state, you can create a new account and even claim bonuses. The only thing you cannot do is place a bet.
So, what do you need in order for you to open a new player account?
- First, you need to download a sportsbook app onto your device or use a web browser to access services.
- Now you are ready for the registration process. Fill in your full name, date of birth, physical address, email, and the last four digits of your social security number.
- Once you have completed the form and agreed to terms and conditions, click submit.
- The sportsbook will send you a verification email. You need to allow around 24 hours, depending on your sportsbook, for the verification link to come through.
- You use this link to upload the requested documents supporting your previous entries. Verifying your documents can take anywhere from an hour to 12 hours, after which you can fund your new player account.
Bettors must not open multiple accounts in Pennsylvania online sportsbooks. This goes against the rules of the operator. Failure to abide by these rules may lead to termination of your accounts and even revocation of all your winnings.
So, if you already have an account which you were using for horse racing or daily fantasy sport, do not open another one. Check first, some operators will insist that you use the same one.
GeoComply is a geo-validator. It is software used by online sportsbooks in Pennsylvania and other jurisdictions in the US to make sure you are where you say you are. It detects virtual private network (VPN) location fraud using GPS positioning and speed metrics. Now, you don’t need to be too concerned about the technical intricacies of this technology, only how to use it and why.
For you to use Pennsylvania betting apps, the respective operators need to verify your location. To do this, you need to enable location services on your device. For Android and iOS devices, this process is relatively straightforward.
If you are on iOS, go to settings, privacy, and location services. Double-check and ensure that location services are on. Look for the sportsbook app from the list and grant the required permissions. The process for Android devices is somewhat similar. In the settings menu, find location access. From the display, toggle location services for your sports betting app and select ‘allow all the time.’
Now, PC and Mac users will require an extra step to get GeoComply. You need to download and install a separate plug-in. You can do this by simply accessing a real money game, and the download will begin automatically. Ensure that you enable pop-ups in your browser before you proceed.
Even though getting GeoComply on your phone or PC is relatively effortless, it is only natural for players to wonder what all the fuss is about in the first place. In the United States, independent states can decide if they want to legalize online gambling or not. As you might already be aware, some states have not yet legalized online sports betting.
It is illegal to place bets in these jurisdictions. That’s why you need to install GeoComply on your device. It ensures that operators and players are gambling within the law.
Sports Betting Apps
In addition to all the land-based gambling options listed above, you can also use sports betting apps in Pennsylvania. These apps give you instant access to live, as well as upcoming odds. The best apps in Pennsylvania will also include match analysis to help you place the perfect bet.
Getting started with the sports betting app is easy, you can download it straight to your phone or use the mobile web browser version. Whichever choice you make, you will have roughly the same functionality you will find on the desktop sportsbook site.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Convenience – this is, by far, the best reason for using sports betting apps. You can bet from anywhere as long as you are within Pennsylvania state lines.
- Game streaming – the best sportsbook apps will offer live game streaming. You can watch the game in real-time and bet accordingly.
- Cost – since you are betting from home, it is relatively inexpensive to bet online using sportsbook apps. There are no added transport costs attached. You can also deposit and withdraw at a reasonable rate.
- Versatility – you can use sportsbook apps on a wide range of smart devices. Whether you are on Android or iOS powered devices makes no difference. You can even use the web app in your browser to connect.
- Flexibility – you need not work around your desire to bet on sports. It should be the other way round. With sports betting apps, you choose the time most convenient for you. Whether this is during the ride home or on your lunch break, it’s up to you.
- The inferior player experience – betting in the comfort of your home may sound like a dream come true, but it can be a lonely affair. You might find yourself yearning for the interactive, land-based betting experience.
- Unfriendly design – some sports betting apps have a poor design. The buttons are placed too close together, even if you flip your screen to landscape mode. This makes navigation a tedious task.
- The small screen is not for everyone – a smaller display limits the information you can view. Imagine you want to watch the live stream and bet at the same time. You will quickly get frustrated by continuously going back and forth.
- Only useful where there is a reliable internet connection – you can only use sports betting apps where there is a reasonably reliable internet signal. If you go offline for any reason, you are stuck.
- Makes responsible gaming difficult – this is especially true for troubled gamblers. The quality that makes sports betting apps such a great idea is also their Achilles heel. Because gambling action is so readily available, it makes it hard to quit if you need to.
Below, we have highlighted the most popular betting apps in Pennsylvania.
DraftKings Sportsbook App
Looking at DraftKings now, it’s hard to imagine that this company was launched from a spare bedroom in Massachusetts. From its humble beginnings in 2012, offering daily fantasy sports, very few would have imagined that DraftKings would be trading on the NASDAQ exchange in 2020. Today, this operator is available in many jurisdictions in the United States including Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and New Jersey, to mention a few.
The DraftKings sportsbook app is also more than just a slick aesthetic. It offers a custom betting carousel. This intuitive feature provides players with betting suggestions based on previous picks.
Besides enjoying numerous in-game and standard betting options, players here can also cash out at any point during the game to lock in profits.
FanDuel Sportsbook App
FanDuel came online in 2018 and has quickly won over the affections of many players. In Pennsylvania, it is licensed through the Valley Forge Casino Resort. According to recent reports from the Gaming Control Board, 40% of the online handle in Pennsylvania can be attributed to FanDuel.
Why is it that almost half of all online bettors in the Keystone state prefer this app? Well, it’s pretty obvious—simplicity and ease of use. The FanDuel betting app can stand toe to toe with any platform in this jurisdiction, but where it wins hands down is the ease of use.
It is dead simple; even new players will not struggle to get around. FanDuel also offers regular promos and odds boosters.
BetMGM Sportsbook App
BetMGM is available in 10 jurisdictions across the United States. In Pennsylvania, it is licensed through the Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course. However, BetMGM does not have a retail sportsbook presence in this state.
But the mobile app is really all you need to get started. Signing up to the BetMGM mobile app opens up your options to a world of mainstream and niche sports betting. Whether it’s football, soccer, basketball, hockey, or even snooker that does it for you, it’s likely available here. The app even has a clever bet finder, which you can use to search for odds using a player, team, or event name.
But that’s not all. All online players in BetMGM are instantly inducted into the award-winning loyalty rewards program, M Life Rewards.
PointsBet Sportsbook App
Pointsbet was founded in Australia. This operator has found its way into Pennsylvania and other US states like Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and New Jersey. Pointsbet is the fastest growing operator in the United States, and it’s easy to see why.
It is number one in the country when you consider the number of bet types on baseball, basketball, hockey, and football. These are the four most popular games here. There’s one more thing that makes the Pointsbet app unique, that is the points betting system.
This is a revolutionary way of wagering, where payouts are calculated based on the spread between the winning and losing scores. Pointsbet is the only operator in the United States who has this.
FoxBet Sportsbook App
FoxBet is a joint project between two greats, Fox and PokerStars. Now, everyone knows Fox; this powerful media outlet is now in sports betting. To be honest, even if we didn’t tell you this, you would have guessed on opening the FoxBet app. Celebrity images are splashed all over the place, and it’s easy to think we were back in the studio.
But it’s not just about fun and games here. FoxBet offers custom bets and competitive odds. The look of this betting app might feel claustrophobic at times because of the persistent promos. But we wouldn’t expect any less from a book owned by a media group.
How To Fund Your Betting Account
We understand that when you sign up with a sports betting app, you are looking for the odds, so you can start betting as soon as possible. But before you can do that, you need to fund your account.
Luckily, the deposit and withdrawal process in sports betting apps is a walk in the park and will take just a few simple steps.
Let’s first look at how to deposit:
- On the sportsbook homepage, locate and click on the ‘Deposit’ or ‘Add Funds’ button. You’ll be transferred to the deposit page instantly. Another deposit button is in the ‘My Account’ section of the site.
- Enter the amount you wish to deposit. This needs to be within the sportsbook limits. Consider this carefully if you are looking to claim any bonuses.
- Next, you need to select the payment method you wish to use. You have credit cards, e-wallets, debit cards, among others, at your disposal.
- If you use third-party payment options like PayPal, you will be transferred to a separate page where you can log in to confirm the transaction.
- When done, click confirm, and your deposit will be made available immediately.
- You also receive an email confirmation for your records.
To withdraw, follow these simple steps:
- Find and click on the ‘Withdraw’ button.
- Enter the amount you wish to withdraw. Make sure you are aware of the minimum withdrawal limits. All requests below this will not be processed.
- Some sportsbooks will insist on using the method you deposited with to complete your withdrawal.
- Confirm the transaction by clicking submit.
- An email confirmation will be sent to your inbox.
- Withdrawals are subject to mandatory processing periods. Allow for a further two to seven working days after processing, depending on your payout method. This is when you can expect funds in your account.
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
Online sportsbook operators make sure that players have ample methods with which to complete transactions. From the selection on offer, you are sure to find one that suits you. That is the benefit of betting on regulated sites; you can access the best and secure payment methods.
However, payment methods are different and they have varying limits and payout times; some are even only valid for deposits. So, make sure you understand this before settling on anyone. Here is a list of the common payment methods available in Pennsylvania sports betting apps.
- Visa Debit
- MasterCard Debit
- Automated Clearing House (ACH)
- Wire transfer
- Cash at the cage
How Do Sports Betting Sign Up Offers Work?
The online sports betting industry is highly competitive, and just having a nice app definitely won’t cut it. Oddsmakers need to stand out. A popular tool used by every sportsbook is the sign-up bonus promo. It’s an incentive to encourage new players to sign up.
The sign-up bonus comes in three forms. We discuss these below.
First Deposit Offer
The first deposit offer is exactly as the name implies. It is offered to new players upon making an initial deposit in the sportsbook. In this bonus, the sportsbook will match your deposit up to a pre-specified amount.
The first deposit offers usually come laced with restrictions and wagering obligations. So, it would help if you familiarized yourself with these before you claim.
No Deposit Offer
This bonus is awarded to new bettors upon creating an account with the sportsbook. It is one of the most coveted offers you will find online, and with good reason. To claim a no deposit offer, you need not fund your account. By simply registering as a new customer, you qualify.
Just like in the first deposit bonus, here also you have obligations you need to contend with before you can access your winnings. This includes depositing in order to cash out winnings.
The risk-free bet can be likened to a friendly nudge on the back, encouraging newbies to sign up. In this bonus, you bet with your own funds. If you win, then the bonus is not activated. But if you lose, your net losses are covered up to a certain amount.
Where Can I Place A Bet In Pennsylvania State
Pennsylvania can definitely be considered as one of the leading gambling markets. It plays host to over a dozen land-based sports betting establishments. If betting on sports is not your forte, you can try your luck in any of the various casino sites here. Below, we have listed your options for walk-in sportsbook gambling in the Keystone state.
Land-Based Sportsbooks In Pennsylvania
- Rivers Casino Pittsburgh
- Hollywood Casino Penn National
- SugarHouse Casino Philadelphia
- South Philly Turf Club
- Parx Casino and Racing
- Harrah’s Philadelphia
- Valley Forge Casino
- The Oaks Race and Sportsbook
- Presque Isle Downs and Casino
- Mount Airy Casino Resort
- Mohegan Sun Pocono
- Wind Creek
- The Meadows
- Live! Hotel and Casino
Pennsylvania State Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
In Pennsylvania, sports betting falls under the purview of the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB). This organization regulates both digital and land-based sportsbooks. The PGCB was established through the enactment of the Pennsylvania Race Horse Development and Gaming Act.
Sports betting regulations and tax obligations are outlined under Chapter 13c of the same Act. The PGCB does, however, provide extra guidance through clarifications, explanatory comments, and industry letters. Under Pennsylvania law, only slot machine licensees are eligible to apply for sports wagering certificates. The PGCB also issues sports wagering operator licenses.
Operating in Pennsylvania is not for the faint of heart. There are many restrictions you need to comply with here. For example, sports wagering certificate holders can only partner with one operator and provide only one skin. Furthermore, Pennsylvania has one of the highest license fees in the United States. As we explained earlier, to operate here, you need to pay an initial $10 million.
Renewals are set at $250,000. On top of that, operators pay 36% tax on all sports bets, less promotional play. This is besides other administrative fees which they require you to fork out. Players have not been spared from the text regime either. All earnings above $600 are taxable. Even though you can deduct sports betting losses in Pennsylvania, this only applies to net losses.
Gambling Problem? Find out how to exclude yourself from betting sports in Pennsylvania.