West Virginia Sports Betting
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
West Virginia became the fifth state in the US to legalize sports betting in 2018. Since that time, the industry has grown, offering both retail and online betting options. Top-rated online providers are in the mix, with DraftKings, FanDuel, and BetMGM offering services.
Access retail betting at facilities like the Mountaineer Casino and The Greenbrier, wagering on a large selection of sports markets.
West Virginia provides a safe betting environment, where players in the state can feel secure wagering on football, baseball, basketball, and golf, along with many more sports categories.
Sportsbooks in the Mountain State offer an excellent selection of bet types, including futures, moneylines, propositions, totals, round robins, parlays/teasers, point spreads, and more.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In West Virginia
- Racinos and casinos can offer sports betting.
- There are top operators like DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, and Hollywood Casino providing services.
- Operators offer full-service betting on professional and college sports.
- You can choose from a large selection of betting markets.
- You can wager on the go via mobile or from a sportsbook site.
- Options for withdrawal are limited.
- Prop bets on college players are prohibited.
- There are only a few retail sportsbooks, so long-distance travel may be needed to reach a physical location.
Would We Bet On Sports At West Virginia Sportsbooks?
With top operators offering online and retail sports betting in West Virginia, you can’t go wrong with placing bets in the state. The retail options are limited, so unless you find yourself near a sportsbook, the better option is to wager online.
One downside is the ability to cash out winnings. There are limited options, so you need to be aware that the process may be longer than expected when you decide to make a withdrawal.
Overall, the experience in West Virginia’s sports betting market is a good one. Create a new account with any of the providers, and you will have an excellent selection of betting markets to choose from with top odds and bet types. You can also try your luck by playing at West Virginia online casinos.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
Signing up for a new sports betting account is easy in West Virginia. You can do it via mobile or desktop. However, keep in mind that if you have an online casino account with an operator, you should use the same sign-in to access sports betting.
Take, for example, BetMGM. The operator offers both sports betting and casino gaming options in the state. Once logged in, you can access both options from one account. If you try to create two accounts, you may be locked out and will need to contact support for assistance.
When creating your first online sports betting account, all you must do is register. Follow the steps below to get started:
- Select the ‘Join Now’ button from an operator site via your device.
- Fill out a form with your name, address, telephone number, email, and social security number. This information helps to verify your account.
- The site may also ask for a copy of your driver’s license or another form of identification. You want to use the same name on your account as the one listed on your ID.
- Once your account is verified, then you are ready to post your first bet!
When lawmakers legalized sports betting in the state, a stipulation was put in place that requires players to be physically located within the borders of West Virginia to take part. To ensure that players are where they say they are, geolocation technology is used by every sports betting operator offering services.
After joining a new online sportsbook, you are requested to download and activate GeoComply. This software can pinpoint your location. After you are verified in West Virginia by GeoComply, you are granted access to sports betting.
Sports Betting Apps
Online sports betting is offered in West Virginia, with a total of five apps in service. With the online option, players must be physically located in the state to wager. Betting can be done via a web browser or an operator-specific app.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Place a sports bet from anywhere via your mobile device.
- Access the same betting markets as you would on a desktop computer.
- Apps offer premium sign-up bonuses and regular promotions.
- Add or withdraw funds by accessing the cashier in the app.
- The app offers live betting as well that can be accessed when attending sporting events.
- You must be physically in the state to access an app.
- Rural areas may be affected by poor internet connections that can affect your ability to place wagers.
- Additionally, many bettors will find a smaller screen to be very limiting.
Below, we have highlighted the most popular betting apps in West Virginia.
Betly Sportsbook App
The Betly brand is brought to you by the Mardi Gras and Wheeling Island casinos. The app is offered via Android and iOS devices. Bet on sports while on the go or from the comfort of home. Access a variety of bet types, including round robins, straight bets, parlays, and more.
BetMGM Sportsbook App
The BetMGM brand is quickly becoming a top source of online gaming entertainment in the United States. In West Virginia, players have access to online sports betting and casino games via the application.
MGM Resorts International provides the BetMGM sportsbook app, which is easy to navigate and offers premium odds on all major sports. Find promotions, current sporting events, top markets, and more from the home page of the app or website.
DraftKings Sportsbook App
Another recognizable brand, the DraftKings app, offers bettors in West Virginia mobile gaming options via Android and iOS devices. Advanced security is provided to ensure the sports betting platform is a secure option for players.
Easily add funds and quickly withdraw once you score a win. DraftKings covers various sports, events, and teams, offering wagering on all your favorite leagues, including the NFL, MLB, and more.
FanDuel Sportsbook App
Operated via a partnership with The Greenbrier, the FanDuel Sportsbook in West Virginia offers the best sports betting options. No matter your wager preference, the app provides it. Find five-team parlays, single bets, spreads, or moneylines here.
All sports are covered, from the popular ones like football and baseball to the more obscure ones like cycling and darts.
William Hill Sportsbook App
With William Hill, you can choose to bet via an app on your Android or iOS device, as well as online via a web browser. The operator has decades of experience in the international sports betting world and has quickly gained ground with operations in the United States.
Find premium promotions here, including quality welcome deals!
How To Fund Your Betting Account
Adding funds to your betting account is simple. All you have to do is log in and visit the cashier. From there, the operator provides instructions on how to deposit and withdraw funds.
Each method is different, with various minimum and maximum amounts and a time frame for use.
How To Deposit:
- Log in to your sports betting account.
- Click on the ‘Cashier.’
- Select a deposit method.
- Enter in the details needed based on the chosen method, including the amount you wish to add.
- Finish the deposit and once the funds are added, begin to place sports bets!
How To Withdraw:
- Log in to your online betting account and click on the ‘Cashier.’
- Choose the withdrawal button and method for removing funds.
- Follow the instructions given to complete the transaction, including how much you wish to withdraw.
- Wait for the funds to reach your personal account and use them as you like.
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
In West Virginia, the number of payment options for depositing at an online sportsbook is moderate. You will find several options to use for adding funds to your account. When it comes to withdrawals, the possibilities are unfortunately limited.
You may find it more time-consuming to receive wins based on the methods offered to you per operator.
Common Deposit Methods:
- Credit/debit cards
- Online banking
- Prepaid cards
Common Withdrawal Methods:
- VIP Preferred
- Online banking
- Prepaid card
How Do Sports Betting Sign Up Offers Work?
Once you open new online sports betting account in West Virginia, you will find sign-up offers available to you. Special bonus codes or automatically activated deals are provided by sports betting sites to new players.
In general, you will find a first deposit offer that gives you a percentage of cashback on your first deposit worth up to a certain amount. There are also no deposit and risk-free bet offers.
First Deposit Offer
This is the most common sign-up deal you will find at online sports betting sites. Basically, you enter a bonus code and receive a percentage of cashback based on the amount you deposited. In most instances, the deal will be a 100% match worth up to a certain amount, such as $500.
So, if you deposit $500, then you earn $500 in bonus cash too. Both the deposit and bonus amount must be wagered a certain number of times before any winnings can be withdrawn. Be sure to fully understand the terms and conditions before claiming the offer.
No Deposit Offer
With this deal, you do not have to deposit to be able to access bonus cash. Usually, an online sportsbook will provide this option for you to try their site at no cost to you. The offer may include a certain amount of bonus cash or the type of bet required to claim the deal.
Read the terms and conditions thoroughly to understand the steps needed to claim the bonus. You will be required to deposit before any winnings can be taken out.
The risk-free bet is often one of the most popular sign-up deals that players take advantage of via West Virginia online sports betting sites. With this deal, you bet a certain amount, and if you lose, you get site credit worth the same amount. Let’s say a sportsbook is offering a $200 risk-free bet.
You place your first wager up to $200, and if you lose, the site provides you with credit. If you win, then you get to keep your winnings and bet again if you like.
Where Can I Place A Bet In West Virginia?
While there are land-based sports betting options in West Virginia, the locations are limited. Because the physical locations are few, most players tend to post sports bets online.
Physical Sportsbooks In West Virginia:
- Hollywood Casino: William Hill Sportsbook
- Mountaineer Casino: William Hill Sportsbook
- The Greenbrier: FanDuel Sportsbook
- Mardi Gras Casino & Resort: Betly Sportsbook
- Wheeling Island Casino: Betly Sportsbook
West Virginia Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
Sports betting was legalized in West Virginia in March 2018. Services started in the state by August that same year via land-based venues. Online sports betting began in late December 2018. Each license holder in the state is allowed to offer up to three branded mobile skins.
Operators’ gross sports betting revenues are taxed at 10%. A $100,0000 application fee is due upon licensing and must be renewed every five years.
Gambling Problem? Find out how to exclude yourself from betting sports in West Virginia.