Updated: May 5, 2022
Offer Pending | Claim $1,000 In Free Bets
Claim $1,000 In Bonus Bets
Claim $1,000 In Bonus Bets
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Once you decide to sign up as a new player with TwinSpires sportsbook, you must complete the Know Your Customer procedure.
This is a simple process where you present personal information so the brand can confirm that you are who you say you are. The procedure is quick and easy, only using your info for verification.
If you are new to online sports betting, you may be concerned about the process or have no idea what documents you need to get started.
Use our guide below to quickly sign up at TwinSpires sportsbook and get started enjoying quality services from the top-rated brand.
How To Sign Up At TwinSpires Sportsbook
- Visit TwinSpires and click Join Now.
- Enter your first and last name, email, and any offer code you may have.
- Enter your address, zip code, city, and state, then click Next.
- Create a username and password. Add your date of birth, last four numbers of your social security number, and cell phone, then click Next.
- Click Signup.
- If the verification process is approved, you are logged in, ready to deposit funds and bet.
- The KYC process will then take place once you request a withdrawal.
- Once a withdrawal is requested, you will need to submit documents such as your driver’s license and proof of address to verify your identity further. TwinSpires will walk you through the process.
What Counts As A KYC Document?
To complete the KYC procedure, certain documents are required. Below is a list of options you can use to verify your identity at TwinSpires:
- Driver’s License (Must be valid and not expired)
- State ID (Must be valid and not expired)
- Voter ID
- University ID
- Birth Certificate
What Is KYC & ID Verification?
KYC and ID verification go hand in hand. TwinSpires and other US-based online sportsbooks use these processes to verify your identity.
Social security numbers, birth date, address, and driver’s licenses are checked to ensure that it is you signing up for an account.
The procedure takes only a few minutes to complete and helps to ensure the provider is offering a secure platform for betting.
Why Is ID Verification So Important For Online Sportsbooks?
There are several reasons why the process is so important. First, it protects customers from potential identity theft.
Only you have access to your social security number and driver’s license. These checks stop criminals from creating fake accounts and spending someone else’s money.
Secondly, the process is required by law. Sportsbooks follow state regulations when requesting identity information.
The operator complies with regulations and creates a safe gaming environment for everyone.
Money laundering is a potential problem for online sports betting operators due to the amount of money spent on wagers.
Criminals often try to use casinos and sportsbooks to wash dirty money. Online sportsbooks like TwinSpires can weed out potential money laundering activity with the KYC process in place.
Identity theft is a real threat to the public. One reason the KYC and ID procedures are so necessary is fraud prevention.
If the identification procedures were not in place, it could lead to individuals signing up with false information stolen from someone else, and debt would be racked up in the wrong person’s name.
This simple procedure upon signup and when requesting a withdrawal ensures that the public is protected from fraudulent activity.
Sports betting operators must always comply to maintain licensing within any US state. Part of the compliance process is KYC and ID verification.
If an operator fails to complete these protocols, they are considered non-compliant with regulations. This results in hefty fines.
Operators want to stay in the good graces with regulators, following all procedures, including player identity verification.
- Prepare for KYC by collecting the documents you need for identity verification.
- Locate your driver’s license or state ID, scan the item, and save the image to your computer or mobile device.
- Locate a copy of a mortgage or bank statement to provide proof of address. Scan this item as well.
- Now that you have the copies, you are ready to upload your documents when requested.
- After you request a withdrawal, TwinSpires will ask for ID verification.
- Follow the directions provided to upload the requested documents.
- Once the verification process is approved, you will receive your withdrawal.
Common Problem When Signing Up At TwinSpires App
- Failed Verification: Some players fail the verification process for specific reasons, such as invalid information. Be sure that you entered every detail correctly. The third-party vendor reviewing your information may have another version of your name or an old address listed. Consider these options when trying to figure out why the verification process is not working.
- Duplicate Account Flag: In some cases, players will see a flag claiming a duplicate account is being created during registration. Do you already have an online casino account with TwinSpires? If you do, then this sign-in can be used for sports betting as well. Speak with support if you are unsure why the duplicate account message is popping up.
- Geolocation Issues: Another common issue involves geolocation. You must be located inside a state where TwinSpires is licensed to offer services when signing up. If you are not, the geolocation software will not allow you to bet. Some players may have issues if they are located near the border of two states, one of which offers the services, and the other does not. Try moving around to see if you can locate in the licensed area from a specific spot nearby.
Why Am I Being Asked To Verify My Identity?
In states where online sports betting is legalized, regulators require every licensed operator to verify a player’s identity.
With the Know Your Customer and ID verification process, operators can ensure that the individuals registering for an account are who they say they are, avoiding such issues as identity theft or money laundering activities of criminals.
Why Am I Being Asked To Provide My ID?
An ID is a government backed form of identification that is a trusted way to confirm who you are. TwinSpires is required by state law to ensure the identification of every member.
The online sportsbook simply follows local guidelines to create a safe environment for sports betting by requiring a copy of your identification card.
Why Am I Having Trouble Verifying My Identity?
When filling out the registration form and Know Your Customer details at TwinSpires, ensure the information you are adding is correct.
One wrong number or letter will throw off the verification process. Sometimes, players have varying forms of their first name or an address that is not updated with verification companies.
Try using different forms of your name or an old address to see if that works. If not, you can contact support for further assistance.
Why Am IUnable To Verify?
There are a few reasons why the verification process might not work. You may have entered invalid information, or the verification company only has access to older information.
If the process is not working, speak to support. In most cases, documents can be uploaded to the provider for verification needs.
What Is 2-factor Authentication?
You can utilize two-factor authentication with your online sports betting account as an added measure of security.
Upon set up, you will connect your account to a mobile device, like a smartphone or tablet, via an authentication app.
When logging in to your TwinSpires account, a six-digit code will be sent to your mobile. Enter the code into the box on your account page to log in.
This second form of security adds another layer of protection to your account, ensuring you are the only individual with access to your account.
Why Am I Being Asked to Provide My SSN & Complete A W9 Form?
Online sportsbooks require your social security number as part of the identity verification process.
The information is only used to detect your identity. As far as a W9 form is concerned, the information is used for tax purposes by TwinSpires if you earn $600 or more from bets placed at the site each year.
Why Am I Having Trouble Authenticating My Account?
TwinSpires uses a third-party vendor to authenticate your personal information upon signup. If you are having an issue with the authentication process, it could be that the vendor has access to older information.
Consider using an old address if you recently moved to see if that is an issue. Double-check that all of the info you provided is correct without any typos, as that might be the problem.
Why Am I Getting A ‘Duplicate Account’ Message?
If you see a duplicate account message when signing up for the sportsbook, you already have an account in place.
Check your email to see if you signed up in the past. You can speak to support to try and remedy the issue if you are unsure about previously signing up for an account.
It is important to note that if you have a horse racing account with TwinSpires, you must set up an additional account for sports betting.
The two are not integrated yet. Once they are, there will be no need for separate accounts.