The online gambling industry in the United States is growing at a rapid pace. As a result, millions of people in various states like New Jersey and Pennsylvania have access to a licensed and regulated iGaming market. Online casino games, sports betting, and poker are considered an exciting form of entertainment, but the betting options also come with the risk of addiction.
Because there is a gambling addiction risk associated with the online industry, operators take time and effort to protect players from harm. One way is to offer self-exclusion tools and services.
Online casino operators in Michigan, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey provide solutions for individuals suffering from a gambling addiction. Learning more about self-exclusion options will help you or a loved one start on the path to recovery.
What Is Self-Exclusion Gambling?
The term self-exclusion describes a process in which an individual requests to be excluded from legalized online gaming within a specific operator or region. Once you are enrolled in a self-exclusion program, you are unable to access an online casino site. If you log on, play and win, you forfeit any rights to winnings due to being restricted from play.
The goal of self-exclusion is to give yourself a break from online casino gaming. Players with a strong gambling addiction can take time out to focus on avoiding the activity altogether when needed.
Types Of Self-Exclusion
- Cold Turkey: You can try going cold turkey and avoiding online casino gaming sites on your own, but this can be difficult. It is an option to try, but if you find yourself logging on and playing games, it is time to restrict yourself further.
- Self-Exclusion From iGaming: States that offer legalized online casino gaming have self-exclusion lists you can sign up for. The regulator provides a form that you fill out, and you are unable to access online casino services in the state for some time, usually from one to five years.
- Self-Exclusion Tools: New products are created consistently to help with self-exclusion. Take GameSense, for example. This is a new product designed to help players learn more about gambling addiction. There is also PlayPause, a tool that allows players to self-exclude from iGaming sites in multiple states instead of just where they live. If these tools are available to you, try using them to help with your addiction needs.
Responsible Gambling And Gambling Addiction
The concept of responsible gambling is essentially the ability for a player to enjoy online casino games safely and responsibly. Enough care and thought should be given to gameplay to avoid any safety or ethical concerns. When it comes to the player, each individual needs to think about their limitations.
This includes finances, physical and psychological needs. Players need to learn how to gamble for entertainment and set limits, such as time frames for play or a budget. Acting responsibly ensures that you will not suffer any negative consequences such as significant losses or the onset of gambling addiction.
For an operator, responsible gaming has a different meaning. Regulated operators in the United States must adhere to standards to prevent harm within the industry. This includes preventing underage gambling, fraudulent behavior, and protecting vulnerable customers. In addition, it is common practice for an operator to provide tools and resources for self-exclusion and help with any potential gambling addiction problem.
Self-Exclusion In The Real World
The process of self-exclusion is considered a helpful tool for gambling addiction. For example, you can remove yourself from an online casino environment by restricting what you have access to. However, in the real world, there are plenty of other ways to gamble.
Therefore, for self-exclusion to truly work, you must avoid other gambling activities such as visiting casinos, sportsbooks, even home poker games. It is also essential to combine self-exclusion with other treatment options such as counseling and Gamblers Anonymous meetings.
Positive Aspects Of Self Exclusion
As an individual with a gambling problem, self-exclusion has its positives. You do not have to rely on self-control, and the operator keeps you from accessing online casino gaming. This is a plus because when you have a gambling problem, it can be difficult to stop the activity by simply using self-control.
- No Access to Gaming: This may not seem like a positive, but it is. Without access to online casino gaming, you can start on the journey to learning how to tackle your problem gambling behavior.
- Saving Money: Because you cannot play online, you can save money. The funds can then be used to pay for treatment or to pay off any incurred gambling debt.
- Work on Relationships: If your gambling addiction has harmed any of your relationships, you can use your free time to build the relationships back up.
Negative Aspects Of Self-Exclusion
In general, there are no negative aspects to self-exclusion. The process was created to benefit an individual with a gambling problem. While you may be excluded for an extended period after signing up, the period gives you enough time to focus on your path to recovery from a gambling addiction.
Who Manages And Enforces Self Exclusion In Each State?
When it comes to self-exclusion options in states where online gambling is legal within the US, regulators and operators play a role in managing and enforcing the list of individuals who choose to be excluded.
A particular entity is in charge of the process in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Michigan to ensure that players who wish to be excluded do not have access to services.
Online gambling providers in each state have access to the list and must keep a check on any new players or existing accounts that might pop up from an excluded individual. The operator is in charge of player accounts and must not accept a self-excluded individual.
Operators are also to avoid sending promotional materials to anyone on the self-excluded list via email or other means. Regulators have penalties in place to keep operators in check when it comes to self-exclusion and other consumer protection needs.
How Do I Place Myself On The Self-Exclusion List?
This process will differ based on your location. The option to self-exclude is offered in each state, but one may require an online application while another a different format for signing up. Review your choices in each state to find the right pathway forward to self-exclusion and recovery from gambling addiction.
- Visit the Division of Gaming Enforcement’s (DGE) Self-Exclusion Registration & Removal Page.
- Select the Register for NJ Self Exclusion Program button.
- Read the terms and conditions of the program and check Accept.
- Fill out the self-exclusion form with personal details, including name, email, social security number, and time frame for exclusion, one year or five years.
- Once the form is completed and submitted, your name is added to the list.
- You can also choose to opt out of online gaming by visiting an office of the DGE or a New Jersey racetrack.
- Visit responsibleplay.pa.gov.
- Click on the Sign up for Self-Exclusion tab.
- A Keystone Login is required. If you do not have one, select Register to sign up and create one.
- After creating an account, log in via the Self-Exclusion Enrollment page.
- Now you must verify your identity with the Existing User Verification section. Select ‘I Agree’ to continue.
- Once verification is complete, you will be logged out. Then, log in to Keystone again.
- Now you will be guided through the process of self-exclusion. Complete each step and select next to move forward.
- You must upload a copy of your photo identification as part of the process. A current photo is also required.
- Before the process is complete, you must add in your address, Enrollee info, demographic information, and the length of your ban.
- Once you select Finish, the process is complete.
In this state, the process is a bit different. Some operators like William Hill offer self-exclusion via their website. You also have the option to contact the state lottery to self-exclude.
- Visit the West Virginia Lottery Security Table Games offices or lottery headquarters in Charleston.
- Request at the office to be added to the self-excluded list and follow the process provided.
- You can also choose to submit a notarized form and mail it to the lottery.
- Start by visiting the Michigan Gaming Control Board website page for compulsive gambling.
- Select the Internet Gaming and Sports Betting Responsible Gaming Database Application link.
- Fill out the application.
- Once completed, take it to the office of the Gaming Control Board, mail the form, or email it to the Board.
- Include a copy of your photo ID for verification.
- Once completed, your name will be added to the list.
How Do I Remove Myself From The Self-Exclusion List?
Removing yourself from the self-exclusion list will vary depending on where you are located. Regulators in each state have set up the process based on what they require. Review each state’s process below.
- Visit the same Self-Exclusion Registration & Removal page of the Division of Gaming Enforcement.
- This time, select the Removal from NJ Self-Exclusion Program tab.
- Read the instruction and check the box, then proceed.
- Continue filling out the form and complete the process to be removed from the list.
- The initial term of your suspension must be completed before your name will be removed.
- Visit the responsibleplay.pa.gov/self-exclusion page.
- Select the Self-Exclusion Removal Sign-In tab.
- Once you are logged in to the account, enter your email and click the Request Removal button.
- You will then need to wait for an email from the Gaming Control Board that confirms your removal from the list.
- The first step is to download the Self-Exclusion Removal Form. The state lottery provides the form.
- Fill out the form and then mail it to the address listed on the form for the West Virginia Lottery, the industry’s overseer.
- Visit the Michigan Gaming Control Board Compulsive/Problem Gambling page.
- Download the application form to remove your name from the list.
- Fill out the form.
- Submit the form in person to the Board, via email, or US mail.
Can I place a family member with a gambling problem on the list?
In general, the answer is no. Consult with the regulations in your state to see options for helping family members with a gambling addiction.
How long will I be on the Casino Self-Exclusion list?
The amount of time you spend on the self-exclusion list depends on which state you are located in and how long you choose to be excluded. The rules vary based on the regulator and location. In general, the time frame for exclusion can be one year, five years, or a lifetime ban.
Does Self-Exclusion from casinos apply to other forms of gambling?
In general, when you self-exclude from online casino gaming, you are only banned from that activity. However, additional steps may need to be taken depending on your location to avoid online poker and sports betting sites.