South Dakota Sports Betting
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Sports fans had their say in late 2020 in South Dakota, voting to see betting legalized in the state. By 2021, legislation was signed into law, allowing the city of Deadwood to offer services.
Casinos in the gambling town can provide retail and mobile options, along with tribal venues dotted throughout the state. Players will find a nice mix of gaming options in South Dakota, including betting on college and professional sporting events.
Top name providers like BetMGM can be found offering sportsbooks, with options for NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB betting, and much more!
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In South Dakota
- Premium providers offer sports betting at Deadwood casinos.
- Sports fans can wager on college and professional events.
- Casinos can offer online betting on-site.
- Visit a casino and watch the big game while betting and having fun with friends.
- Tribal casinos are also allowed to offer services extending sports betting outside of Deadwood.
- Sports betting is limited to Deadwood and a handful of tribal casinos.
- Smaller venues may offer limited seating during significant events like the Super Bowl.
- Players must be 21 years of age or older to take part.
- Providers may skip out on South Dakota due to the limited scope of the market.
Would We Bet On Sports At South Dakota Sportsbooks?
Currently, the industry does not support online wagering. The legislation does allow operators in Deadwood to offer mobile services within the boundaries of a casino.
However, it is unclear if any venues will be offering such services in the future. Some lawmakers suggest that it would not be surprising to see online wagering launch statewide in the future.
We would place sports bets in the state, but only if visiting near Deadwood or tribal casinos. It is not likely that players will travel specifically to the state to wager due to the limited nature of the industry.
However, the casinos that offer services are reputable venues and with big-name partners, and it would not be hard to find quality betting options when in the state.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
Before you can place a real money wager online, you need a sportsbook account. Betting site operators make it easy for players to create new accounts and get started with services.
Follow the simple directions below to set up your account with providers in the state.
- Visit a licensed and regulated online sports betting provider.
- Click on the ‘Join Now’ button to register.
- Fill out the registration form with your name, address, telephone number, email, birthday, and last four digits of your social security account.
- Submit the information and watch for a verification email.
- Once approved, log in to your new account.
- Send in a copy of your photo ID if requested by the operator.
To ensure you are in South Dakota, geolocation technology is used by sports betting providers. If you are in the state, then services are open to you.
Companies like GeoComply use software to detect your location. The program is easy to download and operates while you are logged in without any action by you.
Sports Betting Apps
With a sports betting app, you can wager on your favorite teams and players from anywhere. Apps are available via iOS and Android devices, so players can easily bet from the couch or on the go.
Quickly download an app in seconds and once you are logged in, access all types of sports betting lines, promotions, and incentives.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Place a bet from anywhere you have an internet connection.
- Wager from Apple and Android devices.
- Access all aspects of your account in one platform, the cashier, rewards, and promotions.
- Place a future bet way ahead of the game or pull out your app while watching to live betting.
- Top-rated providers offer excellent services, including competitive odds.
- Older devices may not be compatible with sports betting apps.
- Ease of access may lead to gambling addiction issues.
- Services may be limited due to the number of operators going mobile in the state.
- Smaller screen sizes can make it difficult to use controls for wagering.
We expect top operators like the ones below to get started offering mobile wagering in South Dakota in the future:
BetMGM Sportsbook App
This brand is quickly becoming a top contender among sports betting companies in the US. Having launched services in several states, BetMGM is operated by MGM Resorts International and offers a premium online and mobile experience.
Access all betting markets via the brand with moneylines, totals, point spreads, live betting, props, and much more on offer!
FanDuel Sportsbook App
As a top revenue earner across the US, FanDuel is a brand to be reckoned with in the sports betting industry. The brand has a loyal fan base and provides access to betting on college and professional sports events and niche categories.
Easily find regular promotions during sports seasons for the MLB, NBA, and NFL.
DraftKings Sportsbook App
Yet another excellent option for online sports bettors, DraftKings offers a quality solution for wagering. The app offers an intuitive interface with simple controls that even the novice bettor can understand.
Find live betting details at the site, along with a host of betting markets and additional bet types to choose from.
How To Fund Your Betting Account
When it comes to funding your online sports betting account, operators try to make the process as easy as possible.
There are multiple options offered for deposits and withdrawals. So, you can find a banking method that works for you based on convenience and how much you wish to add or remove. Check out the steps to adding and removing funds via sports betting account below to learn more.
How To Deposit Funds:
- Use your mobile or desktop to log in to your sportsbook account.
- Click on the ‘Cashier’ and select the ‘Deposit’ option.
- Choose a banking method and how much you wish to add.
- Follow the steps offered by the provider to complete the transaction.
- Once your transaction is approved, you will see the cash in your account.
- Use the funds to place sports bets!
How To Withdraw Funds:
- Log in to your sports betting account.
- Use the ‘Cashier’ section to select the ‘Withdraw’ tab to begin the process.
- Enter how much money you wish to withdraw plus the banking method.
- Use the directions listed in your account to make the withdrawal.
- Once the transactions are approved, you will receive the funds and can use it as you like!
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
For new players in the sports betting world, the payment process may seem confusing. What options do you have for banking?
Each provider lists the deposit and withdrawal methods in its cashier with details on how much you can add and remove based on each method. Get to know your options before you get started with real money banking so you better understand how the process works.
Standard Deposit Methods:
- Online banking
- VIP Preferred
- American Express
Standard Withdrawal Methods:
- Online banking
- VIP Preferred
- Western Union
- Check by mail
How Do Sports Betting Sign Up Offers Work?
When joining an online sports betting site, you will often see welcome deals or signup offers. These promotions are incentives the sportsbook provides to entice players to try their betting lines.
There are traditionally three types of offers you will find from a top-rated operator: first deposit, no deposit, and risk-free offer. Each provides some type of bonus that you can use to wager with based on terms and conditions.
Get to know the offer types below and find an option that works best for your budget needs.
First Deposit Offer
The most common offer that players take advantage of is the first deposit bonus. With this deal, you can earn a bonus cash match based on the amount of your deposit.
A standard deal of this type will be a 100% match worth up to a certain amount, such as $500. Let’s say you deposit $200 on this deal. The sportsbook would provide you with $200 in bonus cash, so you end up with $400 to place bets with!
This type of deal and other options will come with wagering requirements you must meet before you can cash out winnings. In most cases, you must wager the deposit plus the bonus amount a certain number of times.
On the deal mentioned above, let’s say the wagering requirement is 10x. You would need to bet the $400 10x, which would equal $4000 before you can cash out. Be sure to read all the deal terms before claiming to ensure you can meet the requirements with ease.
No Deposit Offer
Another option you will commonly find at online sportsbooks is a no deposit offer. This deal is a set amount of cash provided to you for wagering. It may be just $50 to $100, but it is a free bet you can place and a great way to get to know how a site operates.
You do not have to deposit funds to access the bonus cash. However, you do need to deposit if you are going to cash out any winnings from the offer.
Deposit at an online sportsbook with a risk-free bet offer, and you will be able to earn bonus cash for a loss. This deal provides you with the option to bet a certain amount of cash. If you lose the bet, the provider adds the same amount in bonus funds.
This type of deal typically runs from $25 to $100. It is considered risk-free because you still have the same amount of bonus cash to wager with at the site if you lose.
Where Can I Place A Bet In South Dakota?
There are several casinos in Deadwood where you can place a sports bet. Along with the venues in this city, 11 tribal casinos are eligible throughout the state.
Check out the Deadwood venues below and details about sports betting services.
- Cadillac Jack’s Gaming Resort: This casino has teamed up with BetMGM to offer services in Deadwood.
- Gold Dust Casino & Hotel: Set to offer premium sports betting services on the casino floor.
- Mineral Palace Hotel & Gaming
- Tin Lizzie Gaming Resort: This casino has also teamed up with BetMGM to offer sports betting services on-site.
- First Gold Hotel and Gaming
- Deadwood Mountain Grand: This facility has an entire section carved out for sports betting with more than two dozen televisions to broadcast sports games.
- Silverado-Franklin Hotel & Gaming Complex
- Mr. Wu’s Casino
Tribal Casinos in the state include:
- Dakota Connection Casino and Travel Center
- Dakota Sioux Casino
- East Wind Casino
- Fort Randall Casino
- Golden Buffalo Casino & Resort
- Grand River Casino and Resort
- Lode Star Casino
- Prairie Wind Casino & Hotel
- Rosebud Casino
- Royal River Casino & Hotel
- Turtle Creek Crossing Casino
- Yankton Sioux Travel Plaza
South Dakota Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
Voters in South Dakota approved a referendum in November 2020 to see sports betting legalized in the state. By March 2021, Governor Kristi Noem signed a bill that set up the framework for sports betting.
Essentially, gambling venues in Deadwood are allowed to offer services, both retail and online. The online option is only allowed if betting is done inside the land-based facility. Alongside allowing casinos in Deadwood to provide sports betting, Native American tribes in the state are also eligible.
The tax rate set for sports betting operators is 9% of gross gaming revenues. The South Dakota Commission on Gambling is in charge of regulating the industry.