Rhode Island Sports Betting
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Mobile and retail sports betting are legal in Rhode Island, though the industry operates differently from others.
The state lottery oversees services, controlling the retail casino options and online mobile betting site Sportsbook Rhode Island. Because the lottery operates the industry, players can take part at the age of 18 or older.
Get to know more about the exciting sports betting industry in the state below, including details on accessing services and promotions.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In Rhode Island
- Retail betting is offered at two casino locations.
- All markets are covered, including professional football, basketball, baseball and golf.
- Players can be 18 years of age or older to place a sports bet.
- Online sports betting is also offered via an app and website.
- The lottery oversees the industry, ensuring a safe environment for wagering.
- Betting is limited to only two physical locations.
- Online options are provided by only one site/app.
- Odds will not be as competitive due to a smaller market.
- Few promotions will be on offer because only one online operator offers services.
Would We Bet On Sports At Rhode Island Sportsbooks?
Yes, but because the state is limited to lottery-run operations, there is only one provider.
Sportsbook Rhode Island is the only option players have to access mobile and online sports betting. The site operates via William Hill and is available on an IGT platform.
Visitors will find betting options on all sports, including college and professional leagues. The site is set up well and provides quality navigation even for beginner bettors.
View featured, live, and upcoming betting options from the home page and all available sports listed on the left for easy viewing.
Rhode Island offers an excellent selection of land-based options, though they are limited to only two providers, the Tiverton and Lincoln casinos. Thankfully, online gaming is also an option; however, it is only offered via one website.
We wish that the market was more diverse, but it is good to see that the state offers sports fans options for betting.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
To start accessing online sports betting in Rhode Island, you must create an account via Sportsbook Rhode Island.
Below are the simple steps to creating your online account.
- Visit Sportsbook Rhode Island on a desktop device. Via mobile, you will need to download the app first to sign up.
- Use the ‘Join Now’ button to fill out the registration form.
- Enter your address, email, name, telephone number, birthday, and last four digits of your social security number to complete the form and hit submit.
- Once you have submitted the form, you should receive an email. Click the link inside your email to confirm your account.
- If you do not see the email, check your junk folder. You only have 24 hours from signup to click on the link provided.
Be sure to only sign up for one account. You will get locked out if you try to sign up for multiple accounts using the same email. Avoid any potential issues by signing up for one account.
Sportsbook Rhode Island uses geo-location to ensure every player is located inside state lines. Technology like GeoComply uses data from nearby Wi-Fi networks and other sources to figure out exactly where you are located.
To access services, you are required to download a geo-location plugin. Once this process is completed, you can access sports betting via the app or desktop site.
Sports Betting Apps
Apps are the top choice among most sports bettors for placing wagers, mainly due to convenience. An Apple or Android device can easily be used to place bets from anywhere inside the state.
The Sportsbook Rhode Island app is compatible with both device types and offers a quick and easy way to place a bet. Take part in live betting from your sofa during the big game or wager while on the go with the help of the intuitive app.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Bet from anywhere inside Rhode Island.
- Sportsbook Rhode Island is compatible with all mobile devices.
- Current sports are prominently displayed for quick betting.
- Check your bet slip while on the go after placing wagers via the app.
- Access the cashier to add or withdraw funds whenever you like.
- There is only one app offered in Rhode Island.
- The app doesn’t appear to offer any promotional opportunities.
- Only traditional sports leagues are offered with zero niche markets.
- Ease of access online can lead to gambling addiction.
When online sports betting launches in the future, we expect the following major players to be involved:
BetMGM Sportsbook App
Launching in every state it possibly can when it comes to sports betting, BetMGM sportsbook is a brand to be reckoned with.
BetMGM brings players the best betting odds, with options for mobile and desktop wagering. Find all betting options on the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, NHL, and many other sports leagues.
DraftKings Sportsbook App
Another top operator in the United States is DraftKings. With online and mobile services, DraftKings sportsbook makes it easy for players to place futures and live bets, with a range of betting markets covered.
Promotions and contests are prevalent here, allowing players to take full advantage of all incentives provided by the brand.
FanDuel Sportsbook App
Top rival to DraftKings, FanDuel sportsbook also offers premium mobile and desktop betting. Quickly place a bet from the comfort of home or while on the go.
Promotions, quality banking methods, and the best betting lines are easily accessible from the brand’s iOS or Android app. Place a bet within seconds by utilizing the top-rated app of the provider.
How To Fund Your Betting Account
Funding your online sports betting account in Rhode Island is a simple process. The sportsbook site offers only a select few options to add or withdraw funds.
Learning more about how the process works and what options you have is key to posting real money bets.
Check out a short guide on how to add and remove cash below.
How To Deposit Funds:
- Log in to your Sportsbook Rhode Island Account.
- Go to ‘My Account’ and click on ‘Deposit’. Select your banking method and the amount to add.
- Follow the direction provided to add funds.
- Once you see the cash in your account, you are free to post sports bets.
How To Withdraw Funds:
- Log in to your online sports betting account.
- Select the ‘Withdraw’ tab in the ‘My Account’ section.
- Choose the same bank method you deposited with to remove funds.
- Follow the instructions provided by the site to complete the transaction.
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
Banking is an essential part of real money sports betting. You need access to simple methods to add and remove funds from your account.
Below are the banking methods offered for accounts at Sportsbook Rhode Island. The site provides only two options, and whichever you use for a deposit must also be used to withdraw funds.
Limits for each option are based on individual accounts.
- Debit card
- Bank account via VIP Preferred
How Do Sports Betting Sign Up Offers Work?
Once you sign up for a new player account at an online sportsbook in Rhode Island, you will see welcome offers and deals.
These sportsbook promotions were created by sports betting operators to entice you to join their platform. For the most part, these deals are a great way to earn a free bet or at least try a site with little to no risk.
By learning more about the most common offer types, you can determine which option works best for your budget or betting style needs. An operator will generally offer a first deposit deal, no deposit promotion, and risk-free bet.
Check out the details of these options below to learn more about how the deals work and how to claim them.
First Deposit Offer
The most common offer that players take advantage of is the first deposit deal. This is a match bonus based on the amount of your first deposit.
An example of this deal is a 100% bonus match worth up to $500. You are allowed to deposit as much as $500, and the sportsbook will add the same amount in bonus cash to your account.
Let’s say with this deal, you deposit $100. Well, the operator then adds $100 to your account in bonus funds, so you have $200 to bet with. This type of deal and others have wagering requirements connected to them to cash out winnings.
This deal usually requires 20x to 40x the bonus plus the deposit amount that needs to be wagered. Sometimes, you come across lower options like 10x or less, but that is rare. So, with the $100 + $100 = $200, you must wager the $200 the number of times listed in the terms and conditions to clear the deal.
Be sure to read the terms entirely to be sure you understand the promotion and know what to do to clear the deal.
No Deposit Offer
If you want to avoid depositing when trying out a sportsbook, then the no deposit deal is what you want to take advantage of.
With this promotion, the operator provides you with a set amount of cash to wager with. More terms may be included, such as placing the bet on a specific sport or game.
Once you place the bet and win, you must deposit funds before you can cash out any winnings. This stipulation must be followed, but the amount you must add is usually relatively low.
Another option to consider is a risk-free bet. This deal is considered zero risk because the sportsbook pays you back for a loss.
An example of this promotion is a risk-free football wager worth up to $100. Deposit up to $100 and wager on a football game. If you win, great! If you lose, the site will pay back the exact amount in bonus cash.
Essentially, you do not lose anything because you gain the exact amount back into your account, even though it is bonus funds.
Where Can I Place A Bet In Rhode Island?
In Rhode Island, there are only two casinos that offer in-person sports betting. Each location has a sportsbook so that fans can easily wager on their favorite team or during significant events, and William Hill powers both sportsbooks.
Twin River Casino in Lincoln: This venue offers a Sportsbook Bar & Grill with 3,600 square feet of gambling space. There are over 100 televisions on-site with seating areas, a full bar with dining.
Twin River Tiverton Casino: The casino features a sportsbook inside its simulcast theater. This is the smaller of the two gambling venues.
Rhode Island Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
Rhode Island was one of the first states in the US to offer sports betting, launching in 2018 via retail outlets.
Online and mobile betting was legalized in 2019 with an in-person registration stipulation. By 2020, the in-person stipulation was ended, and players can register online for a new account. Players have access to apps by top operators and land-based services via two casinos in the state.
Rhode Island allows bettors to be 18 years of age or older. Gross gaming revenues of operators are taxed at 51%.