Self-Exclusion From Sports Betting In Ontario
Sports betting was legalized in Ontario in 2021, offering players access to services via the provincial lottery and commercial venues.
In the past, Canada banned single-game wagering but changed legislation in 2021 to allow the option. The sports betting industry grows significantly with the change, giving players many more options for wagering.
There is also an increased risk of gambling addiction with expanded sports betting. In Ontario, the province offers self-exclusion programs so players can cut off access to services if an addiction or gambling problem arises.
Learning how to access this program is key to responsible gaming. Use our guide below to find more details on how self-exclusion works and what you need to do to sign up.
How Do I Get On A Self-Exclusion List In Ontario?
There are several ways to add your name to the self-exclusion list in the Ontario gambling market. The process varies based on how you wish to self-exclude.
Once you sign up, additional information is provided on resources within your community.
- Log in to your OLG.ca account. You will then need to click on Visit Self-Exclusion, which is found within your account settings.
- Fill out the self-exclusion form with your details.
- Once the process is completed, you will be unable to access your OLG account.
- All Ontario casinos and OLG.ca offer self-exclusion services. Call the OLG Support Center at 1-800-387-0098 for more information. You can also request assistance from a casino staff member.
What Will Happen After I Sign Up For A Self-Exclusion List?
Once signed up, you are banned from gambling services. This includes sports betting.
You will not be able to access any gambling options until the selected time of self-exclusion is completed. Self-exclusion from online services keeps you from logging in to your account.
If you choose to self-exclude from a physical entity, then you will not be eligible to win any bets. You are also removed from marketing lists, so you will no longer receive promotions or incentives.
How Do I Get Off A Self-Exclusion List In Ontario?
- Request to return to gambling once your time of self-exclusion is completed.
- For online services, chat with support at OLG for assistance.
- For retail betting, you can speak with the OLG or the casino you chose to self-exclude with.
What Will Happen After I Get Off A Self-Exclusion List?
Once your name is removed from the self-exclusion list, you are free to enjoy gambling services once again, including sports betting.
How Do You Find Out If You Are Banned From A Sportsbook?
You are automatically banned from casino gambling if you sign up for self-exclusion via the OLG hotline or a land-based facility.
How Do I Block Myself From Gambling Sites?
This can be done via your account at OLG online. Click on the Visit Self-Exclusion of your account to start the process.
How Long Will I Be On The Self-Exclusion List?
If you select casino self-exclusion, you can choose six months, one year, or an indefinite time period. If you choose to self-exclude via OLG.ca, then you can select six months, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 years.
Struggling with a gambling problem? Learn more about how to get help.