Ontario Sports Betting
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Sports betting has been around for many years in Ontario, but players were limited to wagering on in-person parlays.
In June 2021, a ban on single-game wagering was removed in Canada, opening the country’s provinces to new and exciting sports betting opportunities, including online gaming.
In Ontario, players have access to the traditional sports betting options from before and more to come in the future.
By the end of 2021, privately-run online sportsbooks will have the ability to provide wagering services to sports fans in the province.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In Ontario
- New and exciting wagering options are coming soon.
- With top-rated operators offering services, bettors can expect competitive odds.
- Retail sports betting is a fun way to interact with friends while watching your favorite teams.
- Online sports betting provides convenient access 24/7.
- Wager on more betting markets with the onset of single-game betting.
- Online betting will be limited until new operators launch services in the province.
- New betting options may increase the potential for gambling addiction among players.
- Proline requires you to have a ticket, so you will not be paid for a win if you lose the paper ticket.
- Proline charges a high commission, so the amount you earn is smaller than a sportsbook.
- Bets may be limited based on the provider.
Would We Bet On Sports At Ontario Sportsbooks?
Yes, as online sports betting is approved. Officials have concluded with the setup of the online industry, including licensed providers.
The top brands including DraftKings, FanDuel, and Betmgm are operating in the Ontario sports betting market.
Sports betting is already an enjoyable activity in Ontario, and now with additional services offered, it should provide even more opportunities for sports fans.
We reserve our full opinion on the industry until new online operators launch in the province and have some track record. At that time, we will have a better idea of what type of options are available and if they are worth checking out.
How To Sign Up At Betting Site
To start posting sports bets online, you need an online gambling account. The process of registration is simple and takes only a few minutes.
Follow the steps below to get started:
- Visit an Ontario online sports betting site.
- Click the ‘Join Now’ or ‘Sign Up’ button.
- Fill out the registration form with appropriate information. The operator will walk you through the steps to complete the form.
- Verify your account with any documentation needed. You will need to provide your national ID number as part of the verification process.
- Once your account is verified, you will be free to deposit and begin placing real money sports bets.
Be sure to sign up for only one account per provider. If you try to create more than one account, it can lead to the lockdown of your account, and you will not have access to sports betting.
Just like in the US, Ontario requires players to be located in the province to participate in online gambling. Technology like GeoComply is used to detect a player’s location before access to services is allowed.
GeoComply is downloaded on a mobile device or desktop and determines your location. If you are inside the borders of Ontario, then sports betting services are open to you.
The software is easy to download and usually only requires one setup before you get started.
Sports Betting Apps
One of the most convenient ways to enjoy sports betting online is via a mobile app. Operators offer apps on iOS and Android devices, making it easy for you to gamble via smartphones and tablets.
With an app, you have access to sports betting on the go, with the ability to wager at any time and place. Access all betting markets via mobile from home or while you are out and about.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Apps allow you to wager from anywhere in Ontario
- Platforms provide premium betting odds on a variety of markets.
- Single-game betting is a new option that can be accessed via mobile.
- The best operators offer mobile services so you can trust your personal information is secure.
- Seamless applications make mobile betting fun and convenient.
- Services are restricted to Ontario, so you cannot access operator apps if you are located in another province.
- Betting markets may be restricted to only a few sports depending on the operator.
- The convenience of mobile betting makes it more addicting, and gambling problems can arise.
- Operators may have limited betting types on offer via mobile.
Once online sports betting services are live in Ontario, we expect the following operators to offer services:
Ceasars Ontario App
One thing that will please 99% of Caesars’ customers is the sportsbook’s app. The app is similar to the mobile site.
When scrolling through the app, you’ll realize that navigation is super smooth. There’s barely any lag, so you don’t waste any time looking for potential sports to bet on.
DraftKings Ontario App
Offering services in several US states, DraftKings provides a premium sports betting experience.
In Ontario, players would have access to the same secure online betting platform, complete with thousands of ways to bet, and quality banking methods.
BetMGM Ontario App
This brand is quickly becoming a top option for players, offering the best in professional sports betting. All sports are covered, with plenty of bet types to choose from.
The home page lists each category clearly, with current events posted for easy access to betting.
FanDuel Ontario App
As one of the most popular providers in the US, FanDuel is prepared to offer the best mobile and online sports betting experience in Ontario.
The brand has an easy-to-use app with a responsive interface, complete with betting on every sport.
BetRivers Ontario App
Bet on all your favorite sports with a wide range of options. This brand boasts an intuitive layout, with simple navigation for placing bets and banking needs.
Quality data is provided via the app, including score updates and live odds to help you avoid missing any significant wagers you wish to place.
PointsBet Ontario App
Setting a new standard in sports betting is not an easy task, but this is the burden placed on the shoulders of the Pointsbet Sportsbook by many of its players.
We are also huge fans of the navigation setup here. Pointsbet is clearly going for a simple, no-fuss user experience, just the way we like it.
You have three tabs on the top. Activating these will call up the popular, live, and upcoming games.
How To Fund Your Betting Account
To place sports bets for real money, you need to fund your sportsbook account. This process is easily completed with a variety of banking methods.
Operators in Ontario feature basic options so that every player can quickly deposit or withdraw funds as needed.
How To Deposit:
- Log in to your online sports betting account.
- Select the ‘Cashier’ and click on the ‘Deposit’ section.
- Choose your preferred banking method.
- Enter the amount you wish to add to your account.
- Follow the directions for the transaction.
- Once funds are in your account, you can begin to place sports bets.
How To Withdraw Funds:
- Log in to your account and select the ‘Cashier’ tab.
- Click on the ‘Withdrawal’ section and choose a banking method.
- Type in the amount you wish to remove from your account.
- Use the directions provided by the operator to complete your transaction.
- Funds should arrive instantly or within a few days based on the method you selected.
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
One of the main reasons you want to place online sports bets is for a shot at winning money. Because every player is different and banking needs vary, Ontario sportsbooks offer various methods for deposits and withdrawals.
Each method has its restrictions, so be sure to review your options carefully.
Common Deposit Methods:
- Online banking
- Credit card
- Debit card
Common Withdrawal Methods:
- Online banking
- Check by Mail
Where Can I Place A Bet in Ontario?
Currently, sports betting is limited to services provided by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation.
Parlay betting is the only option offered right now, and bets can be placed via lottery retails located in the province or online via the ProLine app.
Ontario Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
In November 2020, the Ontario government approved the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario to start setting up a new online gaming market in the province.
By March 2021, public consultations were launched to develop the new model for iGaming.
Legal changes were made to the sports betting industry, legalizing online betting and allowing single-game wagering.
C-218 was approved, allowing the province to offer single-game bets such as moneylines, totals, and spreads.
So far, the province continues to work on the rules for sports betting as well as regulations. It is expected that the single-game betting market will launch before the end of 2021.
Gambling Problem? Find out how to exclude yourself from betting sports in Ontario.