Ohio Sports Betting
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager. If the bet loses, BetMGM will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $1,000.
Plus a multisports promo: Bet $10 Win $200
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Sports betting is set to launch in Ohio after HB 29 passed within both state legislative chambers in 2021. It took a few months for legislators to agree, and now, sports bettors will have to wait just a little longer to access services.
Once up and running, we expect significant providers to be in on the action, including BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel. Check out details on the market below and what to expect and what services are operational.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In Ohio
- Sports teams, casinos, and racinos can all offer mobile sports betting.
- Wager with Android and iOS devices.
- All markets are covered, including football, basketball, baseball, and hockey.
- Operators should offer quality promotions including welcome deals.
- Services have not launched yet.
- Players must be located in Ohio once the industry is legalized.
- Players may have to travel to reach a land-based sportsbook depending on location.
Would We Bet On Sports At Ohio Sportsbooks?
In general, we would. But so far, we don’t know what to expect. We will provide another opinion on the matter once the industry is up and running.
The legislative efforts are ongoing. According to the proposal in the Senate, sports betting could begin online as early as April 2022. It is expected that once legislation has passed, complete online services will be offered with remote registration.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
Signing up for a new player account is relatively easy. All you have to do is click the Register or Join Now button of an operator to get started.
Below is a short guide showing you what to expect with this process.
- Visit an online sportsbook and click on the Join or Register button.
- Fill out the registration form with your name, address, telephone number, email, and last four digits of your social security number.
- Create a screen name and password.
- Agree to terms and conditions and submit the form.
- Confirm your registration via email.
- After your account is confirmed, you must further verify your identity and location.
- Upload any documents the sportsbook requests, including photo ID.
- Download geolocation software to detect your location.
- Now you are ready to deposit and post sports bets!
As mentioned in the registration instructions, players in Ohio are required to download geolocation software to provide location detection.
State law requires bettors to be located within Ohio’s borders. The software download takes only a few minutes, and once you are done and the location verified, you are ready to wager.
Sports Betting Apps
With online sports betting set to be legalized in Ohio, you can expect to find many betting apps on offer by top providers.
You can wager via mobile devices with an app, including smartphones and tablets. Take your betting on the go and easily log in with your Android or iOS to start betting.
Below are a few operators we expect to be involved in the Ohio sports betting industry:
BetMGM Sportsbook App
This online sports betting brand has taken over the US landscape as a top provider in the industry. Operating in multiple states, BetMGM features premium sports betting odds in various professional and college sports leagues. Easily bet on NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, and more here.
Caesars Sportsbook App
The online sports betting brand of Caesars Entertainment offers a quality sports betting app and site in several states across the country.
Offering the best in promotions and incentives, Caesars offers bettors access to welcome deals and continual options, including the ability to earn Caesars Rewards points.
BetRivers Sportsbook App
This is another top-rated brand we expect to offer services in Ohio. BetRivers provides the best welcome deal in the industry and includes betting odds on various sports, including niche categories.
DraftKings Sportsbook App
One of the more well-known sports betting brands, DraftKings, is expected to be a heavy hitter in Ohio.
Find many betting types, including moneyline, live betting, teasers, parlays, and more. The brand features plenty of promotions as well.
FanDuel Sportsbook App
A rival of DraftKings, FanDuel is also expected to launch in Ohio. The brand is a top sportsbook in several states, often taking the market share.
FanDuel has quickly spread across the US and continually wants to extend its reach by adding services in new states. The operator offers an app and online betting to suit every sports fan’s needs.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Post a bet from anywhere in Ohio.
- Access promotions and incentives from top operators.
- Check your betting slip while on the go.
- Add funds to your sports betting account with a push of a button.
- Scroll through various markets whenever you like including football, basketball, and golf, among others.
- Smaller screens can make it hard to post bets for some users.
- Rural areas may be subject to slow internet connections that affect app usage.
- Quick access to sports betting can lead to gambling addiction.
How To Fund Your Betting Account
Funding your sports betting account is essential. As a new player, you may be wondering how the deposit process works, as well as how you withdraw funds.
Below are simple instructions on how to do both.
How To Deposit Funds
- Log in to your online sports betting account.
- Click on the cashier and select the deposit.
- Choose a banking method and how much you wish to add.
- Follow the instructions provided to complete the transaction.
- Once the cash is in your account, you are ready to bet.
How To Withdraw Funds
- Log in to your account and click on the cashier.
- Select withdrawal and choose the amount to remove from your account.
- Select the banking method and follow the instructions to complete the transaction.
- Once completed, you should receive the cash and use it how you like.
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
When it comes to deposits and withdrawals, you have a wide variety of banking options at your fingertips.
Easily choose a method for each option that will work well for your banking needs.
Common Deposit Methods
- Online banking
- Play+ Card
Common Withdrawal Methods
- Online banking
- Cashier check
- Play+ Card
How Do Sports Betting Signup Offer Work?
Online sports betting sites provide signup deals for new players so that sports fans will try their odds. It is not uncommon for a site to offer more than one welcome deal or multiple deals in one.
Sportsbooks will generally provide first deposit offers, no deposit deals, and risk-free bets. These options provide extra cash and incentives so bettors can build a solid bankroll and place more bets.
Check out the details of each bonus offer in Ohio, with more info on how to claim the deal type and what to expect with the promotion.
First Deposit Offer
This deal is the most common one you will find at an online sports betting operator. With this promotion, the sportsbook provides you with a percentage of bonus cash based on the amount of your first deposit.
An example of this deal is a 100% match worth up to $250. You deposit $50, then earn $50 in bonus cash, giving you $100 to bet with.
A first deposit offer, like other sports betting promotions, comes with wagering requirements. You must bet the bonus amount a certain number of times before you can cash out.
The multiplier can range from 1x to 40x. The lower the wagering requirement multiplier, the quicker you can clear the bonus deal.
No Deposit Offer
Sometimes, sportsbooks provide a no deposit offer, giving you bonus cash just for signing up. This is a great deal and one that allows you to try an operator free of charge.
Deals like this are hard to come by, though, and usually do not exceed $100. Players must also deposit funds before any winnings can be cashed out from this deal type.
If you are looking for a win-win situation when it comes to promotions, the risk-free bet is a great option. The site will offer you the chance to place a bet up to a certain amount, and if you lose, you get the amount back in bonus cash.
Let’s say the operator offers a risk-free bet worth up to $100. You deposit and bet $75. You lose. The site then provides you with $75 in bonus cash.
It’s a win-win because you have what you started with, essentially negating the loss.
Where Can I Place A Bet in Ohio?
Currently, there is no place where you can bet in the state. However, once services are live, we expect the following casinos and racinos to vie for licensing.
- Eldorado Gaming Scioto Downs
- MGM Northfield Park
- Hollywood Casino Columbus
- Hollywood Casino Toledo
- Miami Valley Gaming
- Hard Rock Casino Cincinnati
- JACK Thistledown Racino
- JACK Cleveland Casino
- Belterra Park Gaming & Entertainment
- Hollywood Gaming at Dayton Raceway
- Hollywood Gaming at Mahoning Valley Race Course
Ohio Sports Betting Laws And Taxes Rate
Right now, a few bills are on the table covering sports betting legalization in Ohio. It seems the industry will go live via HB 29.
The measure allows sports leagues, teams, racinos, and casinos to have one online skin with an opportunity to obtain another.
Revenues would be taxed at 10%. The governor must sign the measure, and steps need to be taken to set up the industry before services can begin.
Gambling Problem? Find out how to exclude yourself from betting sports in Ohio.