North Carolina Sports Betting
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Sports fans in North Carolina will currently find betting options are limited in the state.
Lawmakers legalized sports betting via two tribal casinos, the Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort and Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River.
These are the only two physical properties providing a sportsbook location. While options are limited, the services offered via Caesars Sportsbook are second to none.
Online betting is not currently allowed, but legislation is in the works to see mobile services added in the future.
Check out the options in North Carolina below by reading about available sports betting providers and what’s to come.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In North Carolina
- Caesars provides services via two of Harrah’s properties.
- Both casino sportsbooks are prominent and offer ample seating.
- Betting kiosks are provided throughout the casino sportsbook for individual betting.
- Fan Caves make watching sports fun with friends and family at Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort.
- Find a variety of betting markets and bet types.
- Only two casinos currently offer sports betting services.
- Mobile betting is not legalized yet.
- Sports fans may have to travel to reach a casino for betting.
- Odds might not be competitive due to a small number of providers.
Would We Bet On Sports At North Carolina Sportsbooks?
There is currently legislation under consideration that would allow 10 to 12 online sportsbooks in the state. Based on the details of the bill as it stands, the operators would be taxed 8%.
Players would be allowed to place sports bets if they are 21 years of age or older. The legislation would also allow professional sports teams in the state to open sportsbooks within their stadiums or nearby.
This would include the NBA’s Charlotte Hornets, the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, and the NHL team, the Carolina Hurricanes.
Without mobile betting, we would only wager in North Carolina if we were located near either of the Harrah’s properties. Services are high quality because they are offered by Caesars, which would make betting fun and lucrative.
But, the small number of providers is off-putting, primarily if you are not located near a casino.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
Once you are ready to start betting online, an account must be opened. The process is not complicated and takes only a few minutes, but if you are new to sports betting, you may be unsure where you start or what is required.
Below is a short guide on how to sign up for a new account and get started wagering.
- Visit an online site or use the mobile app of an operator in North Carolina.
- Click the ‘Register Now’ button. You will find this button at the top of the main page of the online site and on the app’s home page once the download is complete.
- Fill out the registration form with your name, email, physical address, telephone number, birthday, and last four digits of your social security account.
- Agree to terms and conditions and submit the form.
- Check your email for a confirmation from the operator. Use the link in the email to reopen the site or app and log in.
- At this point, you are logged in and ready to deposit. The operator will also ask you to submit a copy of your ID for further verification. This can easily be uploaded to the site.
- Deposit funds, and now you are ready to bet!
Once online sports betting is live in North Carolina, geolocation technology will ensure that every player is located within the state borders.
To do this, operators use GeoComply software. Upon creating a new account, the operator will prompt you to download the software. After a few minutes, the software is ready to install and detect your location.
The software works in the background, giving you access to betting services.
Sports Betting Apps
With sports betting apps, you have instant access to betting services via your mobile or tablet device. Apps are offered for both iOS as well as Android devices and are easily downloaded to your smartphone.
Open the app whenever you like to place a bet, check out promotions, or add funds to your account. Players find apps the most convenient way to place a sports bet with the simple click of a button!
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Apps provide instant access to betting from anywhere.
- iOS and Android devices are compatible with applications for sports betting.
- Find the same competitive odds and promotions via an app as you would on a desktop.
- Top-rated operators make sure that bets are fair, and personal information is protected.
- Banking methods are catered to player needs for both deposit and withdrawal.
- Options may be limited in North Carolina due to legislation issues.
- Players must be 21 years of age to access online betting.
- Services are only offered inside the state and cannot be accessed once you leave.
- Easy access to sports betting can lead to addictive behavior among some players.
If this legislation is approved, we expect several big names providers to vie for licensing. Below are a few potential operators we might see in the state:
DraftKings Sportsbook App
We expect that DraftKings will offer services in North Carolina once mobile betting is allowed. The company provides sports betting in several states across the US and is known for its quality mobile and land-based products.
Easily wager on your favorite professional and collegiate sports teams with the DraftKings app.
BetMGM Sportsbook App
Another big name we anticipate here is BetMGM. Offering services across the county, the BetMGM app is often the go-to site for sports fans.
The brand offers a premium experience, a rewards program, and both online and offline betting options. All bet types can be found here, including moneyline, totals, prop bets, in-play, and more!
FanDuel Sportsbook App
With FanDuel, bettors can expect competitive odds, premium betting markets, and lucrative bonuses and promotions. The FanDuel app offers it all so that sports fans have a one-stop-shop for everything they need regarding sports betting.
Because of its popularity, FanDuel usually captures a significant market share wherever it offers services.
How To Fund Your Betting Account
Before you can place an online bet, you need to fund your account. Online sportsbooks provide several options for deposit and withdrawal so that everyone has an option that will suit their individual needs.
Learning more about how to deposit and make a withdrawal is a great way to feel more comfortable with the process after setting up your account. Check out a simple guide below for both options.
How To Deposit Funds:
- Log in to your account.
- Click on ‘Cashier’ and choose a deposit.
- Select a banking method and enter the amount of money you want to add to your account.
- Follow the directions of the banking method to complete the transaction.
- After the funds are in your account, you can start placing bets.
How To Withdraw Funds:
- Visit your sportsbook account and log in.
- Select the ‘Cashier’ option and click ‘Withdrawal.’
- Choose a banking method and enter the amount of cash you want to remove.
- Use the steps on the screen to complete the withdrawal.
- Funds should be made readily available or within a short period based on your chosen banking method.
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
Having access to several banking methods is key to adding and removing funds for your account. In general, operators in the US tend to use the same type of methods so that players can easily travel from state to state and take part in sports betting.
The following methods are secure and provide relatively quick turnaround times, whether with a deposit or withdrawal.
Standard Deposit Methods:
- American Express
- VIP Preferred
- Online banking
Standard Withdrawal Methods:
- Online banking
- VIP Preferred
- Check by Mail
How Do Sports Betting Sign Up Offers Work?
As you create a new online sports betting account, you will notice sign-up offers such as welcome deals. Operators offer these deals to get you to try their products.
These offers are a great way to try an online sportsbook with little to no investment on your part. Typically, a sportsbook offers a first deposit deal, a no deposit offer, and a risk-free bet.
Each of these promotions is easy to complete and provides you with bonus cash to wager with. Review the details of each offer type below to get to know your options.
First Deposit Offer
Most online sportsbooks offer a first deposit deal. With this offer, you will need to input a bonus code and add a certain amount of cash to your account. The sportsbook will then match that amount in bonus cash based on the percentage rate of the deal.
In general, a site will offer you a 100% match deal worth up to a certain amount, such as $300. So, let’s say you deposit $100. This gives you $200 to wager with! With a 100% match, you earn an additional $100 in your account in bonus cash.
This type of deal, as well as others, does come with wagering requirements. You must meet the terms of the promotion before you can cash out. Most first deposit bonuses will have a 25x to 40x wagering requirement of the bonus plus the deposit amount.
The scenario above would be $100 + $100 * 25-40, depending on the set requirement. Let’s say it’s on the high end at 40. This means you will need to wager $200 a total of 40 times.
This would be $8000. Sometimes you get lucky, and a sportsbook offers a 1x rollover, which is a deal that should be taken advantage of as it takes just a few minutes to clear!
Be sure to read the full terms and conditions of a first deposit deal and other promotions before claiming to ensure you know what to do to earn the deal and clear it correctly.
No Deposit Offer
This is an excellent deal to take advantage of because you do not have to deposit funds to bet. The sports betting operator provides you with a set amount of cash for betting.
Place your bet, and if you lose, oh well! If you win, then you must deposit before you are allowed to cash out. Usually, this type of bet is $100 or less, depending on the operator.
If you are in search of a deal with no risk, then the risk-free bet is your best option. With this deal, the operator allows you to place a bet worth up to a certain amount. Let’s say a site is offering a risk-free bet worth up to $200 on an NFL game. You place a $100 bet and lose.
The site will provide $100 in bonus cash to your account for wagering. Even though you technically lost the bet, the bonus cash gives you back the amount you added, so it’s like you never lost at all!
If you lose, then the site will provide you with bonus cash in the amount of your loss.
Where Can I Place A Bet In North Carolina?
If you live or are visiting North Carolina, only two properties can offer sports betting. Caesars Entertainment provides services for both casinos.
- Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort located in Cherokee: This facility offers private Fan Caves for fun viewing with friends as well as a raised VIP seating zone. The open viewing area offers plush chairs with USB charging ports. Bettors can access wagering options at convenient kiosks on-site.
- Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River located in Murphy: This property offers a smaller viewing area but provides a large 32-foot big screen television for games. Bar-top gaming is provided along with betting kiosks.
North Carolina Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
Legislation limits sports betting in the state to two tribal-operated casinos, the Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort and Valley River venues.
There is legislation currently under consideration that will legalize mobile betting, but as of 2021, it is in the preliminary stages. If the measure gains full approval, it will open the market to online betting throughout the state instead of limiting it to two casino venues.
The sports betting market is currently taxed at 8%. If mobile legislation is approved, this could change or set up two different tax rates, one for online and one for offline betting.