Massachusetts Sports Betting
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Sports betting is on its way in Massachusetts. Legislators are currently working towards legalizing the industry, allowing sports fans to wager via retail outlets, online, and mobile options.
Major providers like FanDuel, DraftKings, and BetMGM are expected to vie for licensing in the state once the process begins.
With top-rated retail casinos in the state, Massachusetts already has the perfect starting point for sports betting.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In Massachusetts
- Easily post bets via retail providers.
- Log online via desktop or mobile device to place bets on the go.
- Premium banking methods offer quick options for depositing and withdrawing funds.
- Available promotions help increase your bankroll.
- Wager on your favorite sports teams with prop bets, moneyline, futures, and more.
- You must be located in Massachusetts to access services.
- Limits may be placed on banking methods, especially your options for withdrawals.
- College sports betting may not be an option.
- Certain banking methods may take longer time periods to deposit or withdraw funds.
- Offshore sportsbooks are still in play, which can be harmful to players.
Would We Bet On Sports At Massachusetts Sportsbooks?
Currently, lawmakers are working on legalizing sports betting in the state.
Lawmakers are focused on retail and online options. The casinos in the state will be allowed to offer services on-site along with providing sports betting online. Once the licensing process begins, we will have a better idea as to which operators will offer services in the state.
It is expected that major players like BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel will be vying for an opportunity to offer their services in the state.
Sports betting has the potential to be big business in Massachusetts. With three quality land-based casinos, players will have access to premium in-person services.
Because the state provides mobile and online as well, it won’t be hard to post a bet once the services are legalized and operational.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
Signing up for a new account at an online betting site is a simple process. First, you will need to visit the operator site on your desktop or mobile device.
Some operators offer apps, so download the app to get started if you wish to bet with an app platform.
- After visiting the site/app, select the ‘Join Now’ or ‘Sign Up’ button.
- Fill in your name, address, email address, telephone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
- Confirm your details and verification of your identity must be confirmed by the operator.
- Once your account is approved, you may have to send in a copy of your photo ID to further verify your identity.
- After your account is fully confirmed, you are ready to log in, deposit, and place bets!
Be sure to sign up for only one account per provider. If you try to create multiple accounts, the operator will lock you out and your account will be inaccessible.
In Massachusetts, the state is restricted to offering online sports betting to players within its borders. To ensure that players are located in the state, geolocation technology is used.
Once you visit a sports betting site in the state or download an app and sign up, you are asked to use GeoComply. This software operates in the background and ensures you are in Massachusetts.
If you were to try and use your account outside the state, the GeoComply software will block services.
Sports Betting Apps
Sports betting apps are the most popular way that sports fans place bets online. With an app, you have all you need in one platform.
Apps are easy to download and offer you a streamlined way to enjoy sports betting. Easily deposit or withdraw funds, find live betting, futures, access your betting slip and promotions, all in one place.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Post a sports bet from anywhere inside Massachusetts.
- Use the app to access premium sports betting promotions like welcome deals.
- Access special contests provided by operators during major sporting events.
- Large selection of betting markets and odds.
- Apps are easy to navigate and use, even for beginner sports bettors.
- Apps are intuitive, but the desktop site is often more streamlined.
- Using an app can increase the temptation to gamble, which can result in an addiction problem.
- Smaller buttons may make it harder for some players to post wagers correctly.
- You must be located in Massachusetts to access available apps.
- Online wagering can be a lonely activity when compared to retail betting.
DraftKings Sportsbook App
One of the most popular and well-known sports betting providers in the US is DraftKings sports betting site. The brand offers the best in betting options, covering all markets, from the NFL to MLB, NHL, golf, and more.
Easily place a wager on your favorite team or player, as well as big events like the Super Bowl and March Madness.
BetMGM Sportsbook App
Connected to MGM Resorts, BetMGM sportsbook has entered the United States sports betting industry as a significant player, offering premium sports betting options.
New members to BetMGM have access to quality promotions and incentives, with unique ways to earn bonus cash for sports bets. Live betting, moneylines, futures, props, and many more betting options can be found here.
FanDuel Sportsbook App
The main competitor to DraftKings, FanDuel sports betting is another top choice among sports fans when it comes to placing wagers. The brand offers a streamlined experience with a quality app that is easy to navigate, even for beginners.
FanDuel keeps things interesting for sports bettors by providing specialized betting on major events as well as obscure sports.
How To Fund Your Betting Account
Operators work hard to create a secure betting environment, and that includes providing quality banking methods. To post bets with real money, you must first fund your account.
You need accurate and safe ways to place cash into your account. Sites in Massachusetts offer the best options for deposit as well as withdrawal. Easily find a method that suits your playing needs and fund your account.
How to Deposit:
- Sign into your account.
- Click on the ‘Cashier’ and select ‘Deposit.’
- Choose a banking method to add funds and the amount you wish to deposit.
- Follow the directions provided by the operator to add the cash.
- Once funds are in your account, you can start placing sports bets.
How to Withdraw:
- Log in to your sports betting account.
- Visit the cashier and choose ‘Withdrawal’ tab.
- Select the banking method you wish to use and enter the amount to withdraw.
- Follow the directions provided to complete the process.
- Each method pays out either instantly or within a few days.
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
Whether you are trying to add funds or make a withdrawal, there are several methods to choose from. Operators in Massachusetts know that every player is different, so they offer a nice selection, so everyone has an option to use.
All methods on offer are secure, ensuring your personal and financial information are protected.
Common Deposit Methods:
- Online banking
- Debit cards
- Credit cards
- VIP Preferred
Common Withdrawal Methods:
- Online banking
- Prepaid card
How Do Sports Betting Sign Up Offers Work?
Sportsbooks provide signup offers as an incentive for new players to create accounts. Generally, operators feature three different types: first deposit, no deposit, and risk-free.
These options are the most prevalent and a great way to build a bankroll or try a site at no cost. Check out more details on these bonus types below to figure out which option works best for you.
First Deposit Offer
This is the most common signup offer seen at online sportsbooks. The deal provides a match of bonus funds based on the amount you deposit. Let’s say you find a deal that is a 100% match worth up to $1,000.
That means you can deposit up to $1,000 and the operator adds a 100% match in bonus cash. If you deposit $500, then you receive $500 in bonus funds. The deal allows you to have more cash to wager with at the site.
A first deposit deal as well as other offers will have wagering requirements. The details are listed in the terms and conditions of the deal. You must meet all requirements before a cash-out can be made.
With a first deposit deal, players usually have to wager the bonus plus the deposit amount a certain number of times before withdrawing.
No Deposit Offer
If you are searching for a promotion that does not require a deposit, then the no deposit deal is the perfect option. The sports betting site provides you with a certain amount of bonus cash to wager with to try the site.
Easily place a bet without risking your own cash with the no deposit deal. However, you will be required to deposit if you want to cash out any winnings.
Another option is the risk-free bet. Activate this deal and the sportsbook provides you with the chance to wager a certain amount of your own funds. If you lose the bet, then the sportsbook reimburses you the amount lost in bonus funds.
An example of this deal would be a risk-free bet worth up to $100. You will then be able to deposit and wager up to $100 and if you lose your bet, the site adds bonus cash to your account.
Where Can I Place A Bet In Massachusetts?
Once sports betting is legalized, it is expected that MGM Springfield, Encore Boston Harbor, and Plainridge Park Casino will offer services.
With licensing, each property would be eligible to offer a full sportsbook, with betting lines on professional sports events.
Massachusetts Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
Since 2018, several bills have been presented by lawmakers in Massachusetts to legalize sports betting. The current legislation under consideration would tax in-person wagers at 12.5%.
Mobile betting would be taxed at 15%. The mobile sector is taxed more at this time due to the additional costs that land-based outlets incur, such as employees and facility costs.
In-person services must take place under the rules and requirements set by the Gaming Commission. For online betting, operators are allowed to offer one to three platforms, based on the facility.