Updated: Apr 12, 2022
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Sports bettors in Louisiana have a wealth of options coming their way. The state legalized sports betting in 2021, including retail and online options.
Casinos and racinos are ready to provide services along with the lottery via retail locations. Sports fans can easily place a bet while out and about or comfortably at home with so many available options.
Get to know the industry below, including operators offering online and in-person betting.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In Louisiana
- Options are offered via the lottery, casinos, and racinos.
- Along with land-based betting, online services are also available.
- Players can wager on a variety of markets, including football, baseball, and basketball.
- Sportsbooks offer a wide range of bet types, including props, moneylines, totals, and more.
- Wager from tablets or mobile devices with online betting.
- Online banking methods may be lacking due to operator offerings.
- Some parishes will not offer services due to opting out of the industry.
- Players may have to travel to reach a land-based sportsbook depending on location.
- Access to online betting can lead to addiction over time if wagers are not placed in moderation.
Would We Bet On Sports At Louisiana Sportsbooks?
Yes, we would. Louisiana will be home to significant online sports betting market as the law has been passed and approved.
Laws currently allow the casinos and racinos in approved parishes to offer online services with up to two mobile brands per license holder. If all 20 take part, then we could see up to 40 skins on offer at max.
We expect the market to be quite large, with both online and land-based retailers in the mix. If the big-name providers we expect are involved, it would be a no-brainer to participate in sports betting in the state.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
It takes only a few minutes to sign up for a new player account with online sports betting providers. After filling out a short form, your identity is verified, and it’s time to start betting.
Follow a few simple instructions below to sign up for your first betting account.
- Visit an online sportsbook via mobile app or desktop computer.
- Click the ‘Register’ tab and fill out the form provided with personal details. This will include your name, physical address, telephone number, email, birth date, and last four digits of your social security number.
- Agree to the terms and conditions of the site and click the submit button.
- Once approved, you will need to submit a picture of your photo ID to verify your identity further.
- Check your email to verify your account and use the link provided to visit the site and log in. Now, you are ready to make a deposit and start betting!
In the United States, every individual state with online sports betting services must use geolocation to ensure every participating player is located within the state borders.
Such software as GeoComply is utilized to detect your whereabouts before you can bet with real money. After you sign up for a new account, you will be prompted to download the tracking software.
It takes only a few minutes and operates in the background, giving you access to services only when located in a parish where gambling online is legal.
Sports Betting Apps
Perhaps the best way to access sportsbooks is via mobile applications. Sports betting operators offer iOS and Android apps so that players can log in from anywhere using a smartphone or tablet device.
You can place a bet from anywhere in your home via mobile or while you are on the go. This convenience factor is why mobile betting is the top choice among sports fans.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Mobile betting is offered in several parishes of Louisiana.
- Top operators provide services, making it easy for you to wager on your favorite teams.
- Use an app to access the cashier, promotions, special events, and your bet slip.
- A variety of apps creates more competitive odds.
- Access a nice mix of bet types, including moneylines, props, totals, and more.
- You must be located in a parish that offers online betting.
- Operators in each parish may vary.
- Betting is limited to players 21 years of age and up.
- Access to mobile betting at any time can lead to addiction.
We expect significant brands like BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel to be among the first to apply for online licensing. These sportsbooks will launch their betting apps when Louisiana sports betting goes online:
BetMGM Sportsbook App
Operated by MGM Resorts International, BetMGM is one of the most recognizable brands in the United States that features sports betting.
With plenty of advertising and promotions, BetMGM is seen on television and the radio, offering the best in betting odds on various sports. The app is easy to use and provides everything you need for a quality sports betting experience.
FanDuel Sportsbook App
No matter what type of wager you are looking for or the sport type, FanDuel has you covered. The app includes everything from baseball and football to tennis and golf. Access single bets, live betting, moneylines, and more all in one place!
DraftKings Sportsbook App
Android and iOS users often turn to DraftKings for online sports betting needs. The brand is well-known and has an excellent site set-up, making it easy for new and veteran bettors to locate promotions, special deals, and betting lines.
There is never a dull moment at DraftKings as the betting lines are updated continually, ensuring you can wager with the best odds whenever you like!
How To Fund Your Betting Account
Before you can place real money bets, you need to fund your account. Louisiana sportsbooks offer a solid selection of banking methods not only for depositing but also withdrawals. This way, you can easily add funds or remove cash as you like.
Check out the banking process below to learn how to get started.
How To Deposit Funds:
- Start by logging in to your new online sports betting account.
- Select the cashier from the account menu and click ‘Deposit.’
- Enter the amount you want to add and choose a banking method.
- The site will then walk you through the steps to add funds.
- Once you submit your transaction, the funds should be in your account instantly or within a short time frame.
How To Withdraw Funds:
- Prepare to withdraw funds by logging in to your online sports betting account.
- Select the cashier and choose the ‘Withdrawal’ option.
- Enter in the monetary amount you want to remove. Select the banking method you want to use to complete the transaction.
- Use the directions provided by the site to remove funds.
- In no time, you will have access to your winnings and can use them as you like!
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
Now that you know how to add and remove funds, it’s time to look more at the banking options offered. In most instances, the sportsbooks available in your state will use the same types of banking methods.
This way, you can easily be prepared to remove or add funds as you need to. Review the standard banking options below to see what will work best for your betting budget.
Standard Deposit Methods:
- American Express
- Online banking
- VIP Preferred
Standard Withdrawal Methods:
- Online banking
- Check by mail
How Do Sports Betting Sign Up Offers Work?
Newbies to the online sports betting world may be confused about the process, especially when taking advantage of signup bonus offers.
As a new player, you will have access to premium deals that add bonus cash to your account. Operators list such deals so that players will try their sites and hopefully stick with them for all sports betting needs.
When you join a new site, you will notice deals including first deposit offers, no deposit deals, and a risk-free bet. Take a look at the guide below to learn more about these promotions and how they can benefit your sports betting account.
First Deposit Offer
This is usually the most significant signup offer a provider will have for new players. By depositing a certain amount of cash, you will earn a percentage match in bonus cash.
An example of the first deposit deal is a 100% match worth up to $600. Let’s say you decide to start small and deposit $50. Well, the operator will take that $50 and match it with $50 in bonus cash. So now, your account has $100 for wagering.
With this deal and other types, the operator lists wagering requirements that must be cleared before any winnings can be withdrawn. The promotion usually has a wagering requirement of 25x to 40x.
Sometimes, you luck up, and the amount is only 1x the bonus plus the deposit offer, so you don’t have to wager much before you can cash out. A 25x requirement on the deal listed above means the $100 would have to be wagered 25x, which equals $2500.
Once this is done, you can cash out winnings or keep the cash in your account to keep placing bets.
No Deposit Offer
The no deposit deal is the way to go for players who do not wish to deposit when trying out a new site. This deal gives you a set amount of bonus cash for wagering. Usually, the sportsbook will give you $50 to $100 to wager on a certain sport.
You place your bet and see what happens. If you win, then you must deposit funds before you can cash out your winnings. Depending on the operator, there may be stipulations such as the bet amount, the type of bet, or sport. This stipulation will be listed in the terms and conditions of the deal. Be sure to read the fine print before claiming the offer.
To minimize your risk when trying a new sportsbook, the risk-free promotion is a great option. You deposit a certain amount of cash, and you place a bet based on the amount guidelines in the sportsbook.
Sometimes the bet is restricted to a particular sport. If you lose the bet, the provider adds the cash into your account in bonus funds. You may have wagered your own $50, but the site gives you $50 in bonus cash, so it’s like you never lost anything! It is a win/win situation for the player.
Where Can I Place A Bet In Louisiana?
The casinos and racinos in Louisiana are allowed to apply for licensing. If all choose to apply, they can offer retail and online sports betting, with up to two mobile brands each.
Below is a list of local casino and racino facilities that might get in on the action once the industry launches.
- Amelia Belle Casino
- Boomtown Casino
- Belle of Baton Rouge
- Delta Downs
- Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots
- Golden Nugget
- Evangeline Downs
- Hollywood Casino
- Harrah’s Louisiana Downs
- Harrah’s New Orleans
- Isle of Capri Casino
- L’Auberge Casino
- Margaritaville Resort Casino
- Sam’s Town
- Treasure Chest Casino
Louisiana Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
In November 2020, voters in 55 of the 64 parishes of Louisiana decided to approve sports betting. This got the ball rolling for lawmakers to introduce legislation.
By June 2021, Governor John Bel Edwards had signed several bills into law. The industry should launch by early 2022 with retail and online options offered.
The industry has a 10% tax rate for land-based facility gross gaming revenues. For online providers and electronic devices, the revenues will be taxed at 15%. Application and licensing fees also apply.
Gambling Problem? Find out how to exclude yourself from betting sports in Louisiana.