Canada Online Lottery
Many Canadian players enjoy lottery draws, and it’s easy to see why. For a relatively insignificant amount, you can become the next instant millionaire.
We wouldn’t blame you for thinking this was an over-exaggeration of the facts. But check the jackpot history of games like Lotto Max and Lotto 6/49. We are sure you will agree that there is an opportunity here.
For Canadians, the state lottery is far much more than just about landing the big one. Proceeds from this activity are used in various places to develop communities and other charitable causes.
This article goes through all you need to know about the online lottery in Canada. We will first consider national lotteries such as the Ontario Lottery and also regional draws in which you can take part.
To give you the perfect start, our experts have also included discussions on how to buy lottery tickets online, and also how to qualify for bonuses and incentives. Wasting no more time, let’s jump right in.
National Lottery In Canada
Now, for you to get the perfect start you need to understand how the lottery works in Canada.
There are three nationwide draws that you can play from anywhere. These are complemented by five provincial draws that have unique rules.
We will first discuss the five provincial organizations that have lottery draws. These entities are in charge of ticket sales at retail outlets and also run scratch card games, online games, and second chance draws for losing tickets.
We have listed these below:
- Atlantic Lottery Corp (ALC): players have a chance to take home the million-dollar Atlantic 49 jackpot. The ALC regulates lottery activity in Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador.
- British Columbia Lottery Corp (BCLC): this draw has a maximum jackpot of $2 million. The BCLC jurisdiction covers British Columbia.
- Loto-Quebec: you can play the lotto 6/49 national draw and the Quebec 49 provincial draw on the same ticket. This will unlock the $50,000 bonus prize.
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming (OLG): with $2 million in prize money up for grabs, the Ontario lottery is the largest regional game.
- Western Canada Lottery Corp (WCLC): the Western Canada lottery corps covers Nunavut, Alberta, BC, Yukon, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Northwest Territories. You can play the Western Max and the Western 6/49.
Canadian National Lottery Draws
The small winnings in provincial draws provide an exciting pastime for players in Canada.
But if you are looking to get the most out of your gambling experience, and win life-changing amounts, you need to go for the national lottery draws. As we have already highlighted, they are three draws to look out for.
These are the Lotto 6/49, Lotto Max, and the Daily Grand.
The Lotto 6/49 cemented its place in Canadian lottery history when it became the first Canadian lottery to allow players to select unique numbers. This draw was launched in 1982 and tickets cost only $3. Draws are conducted on Wednesday and Saturday, where the jackpot always starts at $5 million.
To play Lotto 6/49, you need to pick 6 numbers from a selection of 1 to 49. You win the main prize only when you match all six numbers. But this is not the only way for you to get something out of the lotto 6/49 draw. Matching only two numbers will get you a free ticket.
But we know, no one comes to lotto 6/49 hoping to only match two numbers. Everyone’s target is the big one, but landing it is not as easy as it sounds. The last time the jackpot was won was in 2015, when a ticket holder in Mississauga, Ontario walked away with $64 million.
Every Tuesday and Friday, the Canadian lottery scene roars into life with the draw of the nation’s second-largest lottery. Introduced in 2009, the Lotto Max draw has a $10 million jackpot that keeps growing the more players miss it.
This is not to say it can’t be one. You need only choose seven numbers from 50 successfully, and you are done. From a simple ticket costing $5, you can become an instant multimillionaire.
A lucky Canadian took home $70 million in prize money in Ontario back in January 2020.
The Daily Grand (Grand Vie in Québec and Atlantic Canada)
The name pretty much spells it out here. The Daily Grand draw rewards lucky winners with $1,000 a day for life. You can also opt to get a lump sum of $7 million once-off. So, what happens if the winner dies? Well, this prize money is guaranteed for 20 years if the winner expires.
Getting started in the Daily Grand lottery is straightforward. You need only pick 5 numbers from a selection of 1 to 49. The draw also allows for the selection of a grand number, between 1 and 7.
For only $3 per ticket, you can be one of the lucky winners who will take home the big one in the draw conducted on Monday or Thursday.
So, the main prize is only won when you successfully guess the five main numbers and the grand number. If you get the five main numbers correct but then miss out on the grand number, you are also rewarded. Players can receive either $25,000 a year for life or a lump sum of $500,000.
Canadian Lotteries With The Largest Jackpots
Looking for the largest jackpot lottery draws in Canada? We’ve got you covered.
- Atlantic 49/Atlantique 49 (Atlantic Lottery Corporation): $1 million
- BC 49 (BCLC): $2 million
- Québec 49 (Loto-Québec): $2 million
- Ontario 49 (OLG): $2 million.
- Western Max (WCLC): $2 million
- Western 6/49 (WCLC): $2 million
Online Lottery Games In Canada
Lottery tickets can also be obtained via online portals available in each province. Players can also take part in lottery-style games like scratch cards, casino games, bingo, and even Pro-Line sports betting.
Below, we discuss the options you have in Canada. Keep in mind though, these will differ depending on where you are playing.
Instant Win Games
There are two options in this category. The first one is a standard scratch card, which is just electronic versions of what you find in retail outlets.
If you have seen the Triple Millions scratch card offered by WCLC, then you know what we are talking about. It has a $3 million jackpot. Canadians can also take part in game-show-themed instant games.
Popular examples that quickly come to mind are The Wheel of Fortune and The Price is Right.
Provincial online lottery portals also dish out slots and other online casino games. As we said before, these games are not available in some provinces.
Online casino games here are characterized by giant jackpots. Players have access to slots, blackjack, roulette, and video poker, meaning you will not fail to find an option that suits you.
Video Lottery Terminals
A popular feature in many brick-and-mortar casinos across Canada is the video lottery terminal.
There are over 38,000 video lottery terminals spread across Canadian provinces offering players games like slots, virtual table games, and video poker.
If you prefer playing online, familiar versions are also available with games adapted for video lottery terminal gameplay.
You can find exciting bingo titles in provincial organizations, as well as on online lottery portals. You need not look far to find a good example of this game. iBingo, from the Atlantic Lottery Corp, offers players a chance to win throughout the day.
Players in Canada can bet on Sports through online lottery portals. The OLG and the Atlantic lottery corp provide proline sports betting.
Though different in name and design, players like Loto Quebec, WCLC, and the BCLC all have somewhat similar offerings.
Advantage Of Playing Lottery Online In Canada
So, are there any benefits to switching your lottery gaming to online? Yes, there are. Below, we go through these advantages in more detail.
- No need to queue: If you are an avid fan of lottery games like us, then you probably found yourself stuck in a queue more than once. But if you purchase your tickets online, there’s no such thing.All you need to do is make your way to the website and select your desired numbers. To make things simpler, you can also choose the quick pick ticket, which will automatically constitute your options for you. Online lottery tickets can also be purchased weeks in advance, removing the need to visit retail outlets over and over again.
- Information on draws: the website is not only good for purchasing tickets, but it is also an information center. This is where you find the rules, broken down so that you can easily understand them. You can also find information on the next draws online. Wondering if you have one? You can also find out here. The site carries information on multiple weeks, meaning even if you miss a draw or two, you can go back and find out what you want. The best feature about playing online is checking if the big draws have already been one. You don’t want to keep purchasing tickets when the most attractive jackpots have already fallen.
- Additional products: features like second chance draws can be found online. This is when you get the opportunity to turn a losing scratch card into a winning opportunity. Playing online gives you extra options other than the primary, one-time chance of winning in casino games or sports betting.
- Responsible gambling: playing online is also good for your overall gambling health. There are numerous tools, links, and information that you can access when you’re online. These serve the ultimate purpose of helping you stay within your limits, and also promote good gambling habits.
Canadian Lottery Bonus & Promotions
Online casinos provide players with a plethora of bonuses for signing up, and also to promote regular play. While you will not find the same deals in online lotteries, there are still some offers here that deserve your attention.
As can be expected, the bonuses and promotions you find in Canada vary from one province to another. For instance, the Atlantic Lottery corp gives you $20 when you sign up. In Quebec, you get double your winnings when playing Fortune Coin online.
The mistake made by many players is to compare the bonuses you get here with those in online casinos. These are smaller and any attempt to equate them will only serve to discourage lottery players.
But if you can take these offers on their merits, you can easily see that they are more than adequate to give your account a boost.
Canadian Lottery Banking Methods
Banking methods are a key aspect of any online gambling experience. It doesn’t matter whether we’re talking about online casinos, or lottery draws. Whenever money changes hands, you need an effective mechanism by which to do so.
Here are the most common deposit options in online lottery sites in Canada:
- Debit and credit cards: you can pay your way using debit and credit cards. The most common types are Visa and MasterCard.
- Interac: you can load funds onto a virtual Interac wallet and pay using Google pay or Apple pay.
- PayPal: this is a straightforward way to transact with the lottery sites. However, you need to link a confirmed bank card to your account to do so.
- Web Cash: fund your account easily when you purchase $25 vouchers at retail sites.
- Online bill payment: online bill payment helps you transfer money to your account from your bank.
Now that we have discussed deposit methods, the obvious question is what about withdrawals? Most entities allow you to withdraw your winnings with an electronic bank transfer directly to your bank account.
This exercise normally takes three to five business days. Before you can use this option to receive your funds, you need to register by sending through your bank details, ID, and other relevant documents.
Canadian Online Lotteries
Canada has a vibrant online lottery that allows you to take part in one of the most popular activities in this state. From just a small investment, you can rewrite your financial position entirely.
What’s even more amazing is that Canadian lottery sites will give you bonuses to encourage you to play, and you also have access to Android and iOS apps you can use to do this.
But like any other gambling endeavor, Canadian lotteries also carry the risk of exposing you to gambling addiction. So even when you are playing these games for investments as low as $1, you need to recognize that it is still gambling.
So, here is a pro tip. Make use of all the available tools to ensure you protect yourself at all times.