How To Signup For BetMGM Sportsbook
Multisports Promo: Bet $10 Win $200
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager. If the bet loses, BetMGM will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $1,000.
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
BetMGM is a top-rated sports betting brand operated by MGM Resorts International. The operator provides sportsbooks across the US, in various states where the activity is legalized and regulated.
BetMGM follows Know Your Customer (KYC) procedures as part of the signup process. The process is used to verify your identity, ensuring a safe and secure gaming environment.
If you are new to online sports betting, you may be unsure of what KYC entails or confused about the process.
Please don’t fret, as we have a complete guide to show you what is required and how to get started with KYC verification. Begin by reading our guide below.
How To Sign Up At BetMGM Sportsbook
- Visit BetMGM via mobile or desktop device.
- Click the Register button at the top right of BetMGM.
- Enter your email or get started by signing up with PayPal, MGM Rewards, or Yahoo Sports.
- Set a password for your account.
- Next, please enter your first and last name as it is listed on your government ID.
- Enter the last four digits of your SSN.
- Enter your birthday
- Enter your phone number and address
- Agree to terms of service. Enter a bonus code here if you have one. (Check our review for options)
- Click Create My Account
- Now, you are all set to start placing sports bets via BetMGM.
What Is KYC & ID Verification?
Know Your Customer (KYC) and ID verification are two processes used to ensure that the individual signing up for the online sports betting account is who they say they are.
The goal is to ensure that criminals cannot use another person’s ID to wager and cash out funds. Money laundering and identity fraud are significant issues that casinos want to avoid.
They offer these verification processes as a form of protection for themselves and players.
What Counts As A KYC Document?
The KYC process at BetMGM sportsbook is usually completed when you are ready to withdraw funds.
To prepare, go ahead and gather the documents needed to verify your identity. Below are a few options you can use at BetMGM to complete the process:
- Driver’s License
- State ID Card
- Voter ID Card
- City/State Employee ID Card
- Birth Certificate
- University ID Card
The driver’s license and state ID card must be updated to apply. If the card is expired, you will not use it for KYC verification.
Why Is ID Verification So Important For Online Sportsbooks?
ID verification is essential to the operation of an online sportsbook.
For starters, the United States government requires that any online operator that provides gambling services that earns $1 million or more in gross revenues must verify the identity of players.
Money laundering and fraud are significant issues that affect businesses where large sums of money are involved. Casinos and sportsbooks use the ID verification process to avoid trouble in these areas.
Money laundering is a practice that many criminals use to function. The process is illegal, and online gambling sites can be prime targets for those who need to wash their cash.
To avoid money laundering, online sportsbooks like BetMGM offer secure banking methods. Whether you need to deposit or withdraw funds, the process is as secure as a financial institution.
The KYC process makes money laundering much more difficult for criminals, ensuring that online sports betting sites are not used for nefarious means.
The KYC process is also used to prevent fraud among players. People suffer from identity theft every day, be it online or in person.
Because online sportsbooks require identity verification, it is much more difficult for a criminal to use another person’s identity to access betting services. Let’s say your credit card was stolen.
If the individual tried to use your personal information to set up an account and use the card, they wouldn’t get very far due to the KYC process.
The identity verification standards ensure that fraudsters are shut down before they even get started using fake identification to gamble.
The term non-compliance fines describe fines that operators face due to breaking the rules and regulations.
Verification of player ID is required, so non-compliance fees may be issued if an operator does not complete a proper KYC check.
Players on the self-exclusion list in the state of operations are also not allowed to access sites. If the brand fails to check the individual properly and a self-excluded person gambles online, the operator can also be fined for that.
- Prepare for the KYC process by gathering the documents you need. Options include a driver’s license, state ID card, or passport.
- Have a bank statement or utility bill handy to provide proof of address if BetMGM requires it.
- After winning a prize within your BetMGM account, you can cash out. Once you request a withdrawal, the sportsbook will start the KYC process.
- Send in any required documents as requested, using the process provided by BetMGM.
- Wait for the documents to be processed and the verification to finish up. This can take a few hours or a few days, depending on the individual and how backed up the operator is on KYC checks.
- Once the verification process is complete, you are allowed to withdraw money from your sports betting account.
Common Problem When Signing For BetMGM Sportsbook App
As you start the KYC process, there may be verification issues. We have listed a few of the most common problems below.
See if your situation fits in and how you can complete the signup process.
- Expired Identification: Any ID that you use needs to be within date. If you have an expired license or state ID, the sportsbook will not accept it as a proper form of identification. Have your ID renewed before beginning the KYC process.
- An issue with Documents: In some cases, the operator may have an issue with the documentation presented. Is your address correct? Did the documents load clearly? Talk to support if there is a problem with your documents to see what you can do to resolve the issue.
- Long Verification Process: The time frame to verify an account is usually 24-hours. However, this can vary on various factors, including how many employees the operator has that are confirming player identities. Give the sportsbook enough time to complete the process before inquiring when it will be done.
Why Am I Being Asked To Verify My Identity?
State regulations in the US require that online sports betting operators verify the identity of each new player. This is done to prevent fraud and comply with online gambling regulations.
Why Am I Being Asked To Provide My ID?
If the online verification process does not confirm a player’s identity, an extra step of uploading your ID is required. This process ensures you are who you say you are, helping to prevent any attempt at fraud.
Why Am I Having Trouble Verifying My Identity?
The most common reason an individual’s account is not verified is due to incorrect information. Did you type in your address correctly?
What about your social security number? Be sure to enter all of your personal information correctly to avoid a verification issue. If you cannot figure out why verification is not approved, speak to support for assistance.
Why Am I Unable To Verify?
Online sportsbooks use verification agencies to verify each new player’s name, date of birth, and social security number. If the check is not approved, then the information may be incorrect.
In some cases, the record within agencies contains old information. When this happens, you can try using an old address for confirmation.
Different versions of your name may also work if you have a name such as Ronald but go by Ron. If all else fails, you may be able to upload identification documents to verify your account.
What Is 2-factor Authentication?
Online sports betting operators like BetMGM will offer 2-factor authentication as a secondary protection measure.
On top of a password, a numeric code will be sent to your device every time you try to log in. Input the code into the mobile app or desktop computer to access your sports betting account.
Why Am I Being Asked To Provide My SSN & Complete A W9 Form?
Online sportsbooks will require your social security number to confirm your identity. The SSN is given to you by the government and is a federal form of identification.
This provides an added layer of protection to your account. As far as the W9 form is concerned, this is a requirement when you earn a big win. The government taxes gambling wins, and the W9 is used for tax purposes.
Why Am I Having Trouble Authenticating My Account?
Authentication questions are used to ensure that the only person logging into the account is you.
When you experience an authentication issue, it is most likely an issue stemming from the information provided by third parties that assist with verification.
If trouble arises with authentication questions, speak to support and reset your questions to start over.
Why Am I Getting A ‘Duplicate Account’ Message?
If you see a duplicate account message when signing up, via the app or the desktop, it means that your information has been used to create an account before.
If you have an online casino account, you can use the same log-in for sports betting, so this might be the issue. Accounts are flagged based on personal information, and this message will not pop up unless an account already exists with your information.
If this problem occurs, speak to support for guidance.