British Columbia Sports Betting
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Sports fans in British Columbia have access to sports betting services via the British Columbia Lottery Commission.
The Commission has set up the PlayNow.ca website, and it offers betting lines on popular sports in North America and international options.
While the province is limited to just one site, the operator does feature an excellent range of betting markets, perfect for beginner or veteran bettors.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In British Columbia
- Place bets from your mobile or desktop computer.
- Popular markets are covered locally as well as internationally.
- The province lottery commission operates the services, so you know the site is secure.
- Betting lines are clearly displayed for quick wagering.
- Premium banking methods are used, including credit cards and PayPal.
- British Columbia is restricted to only one sports betting site.
- There is a limited number of promotions available.
- Winnings must be withdrawn to an online banking account.
- Having access to online gambling can lead to addiction if betting is not done in moderation.
- Betting is limited to residents of the province.
Would We Bet On Sports At British Columbia Sportsbooks?
Yes, we would! The province offers an online site for wagering. PlayNow.ca offers a large selection of gambling options.
For sports betting, you will need to select the ‘Sports’ tab at the top of the homepage to get started. Odds are listed on the main page, along with a breakdown of sports categories. You can access the site via mobile or desktop device.
Overall, British Columbia offers an excellent website for online sports betting. If I were a province resident and wanted to place a bet, thankfully, I can.
However, the site is limited to only BC residents, so players from other areas cannot wager. This is unfortunate and does limit the potential for the market to grow.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
Signing up for an online betting account is a quick process. In British Columbia, you must be 19 years of age and live in the province to access services. The site is not open to players who are from other areas.
- Visit PlayNow.ca and select the ‘Signup’ button.
- Fill out the registration form with your name, address, email, telephone number, etc.
- Once the form is complete, submit your information.
- Verify via email and wait for your account to be approved.
- Approval can take up to two days on some accounts.
- Once you are verified, log in and deposit to begin posting sports bets.
Avoid creating multiple accounts at PlayNow, as this can result in all accounts being locked. You will not have access to services if you are locked out.
Because players must be from and located in British Columbia to take part in sports betting, the player’s location is significant. Operators use geolocation technology in Canada to detect a player’s location.
In BC, options like GeoComply help operators to ensure a player is where they say they are before allowing betting to begin. The software is easy to download and set up. It is a requirement for you to access sports bets.
Sports Betting Apps
With sports betting apps, players can take wagering on the go or bet from the comfort of a couch or bed. Apps are available on iOS and Android devices, making it easy for you to bet from anywhere.
As the market grows in British Columbia, we expect significant brands like the ones below to start offering services in the province.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Easy access to sports betting from anywhere.
- Play on any device, including smartphones and tablets.
- Some operators offer additional services, including casino and lottery games.
- The cashier, support, and promotions can be reached via the app.
- There are plenty of options to choose from, including live betting.
- Betting can become addictive due to ease of access.
- Some devices may have smaller screens, and it can be challenging to push the buttons to wager.
- Banking methods may be lacking when it comes to deposits or withdrawals.
- Internet issues can result in spotty access to wagering.
The popular operators below should vie for licensing in BC:
DraftKings Sportsbook App
This well-known sports betting provider offers a seamless online betting experience, whether you post bets via mobile or website. DraftKings site has premium betting odds on a variety of sports, including North American options and international sports.
Easily take part in betting on any sport you like, with quality promotions available to help you build a larger bankroll.
FanDuel Sportsbook App
Rival to DraftKings, the FanDuel site is also stepping up its game when it comes to sports betting. Already live in several US states, FanDuel offers the best in sports betting services.
All markets are covered, with options for live betting, moneylines, futures, point spreads, and more.
BetMGM Sportsbook App
This MGM Resorts International brand is also becoming a top pick for North American sports bettors. With an app and website, the BetMGM site caters to all players on all devices.
The options are unlimited, with betting on traditional sports as well as the niche categories. Download the app and start betting on NFL games, NBA, MLB, NHL, and much more.
How To Fund Your Betting Account
Online sports betting sites offer several ways to fund your betting account. At PlayNow, there are more options for a deposit than withdrawal.
Review your options to ensure you can add and remove funds as needed.
How To Deposit:
- Log in to your account.
- Click on the ‘Cashier’ and select the ‘Deposit’ section.
- Select the amount of funds you wish to add and the banking method you will use.
- Follow the directions provided to complete the transaction.
- Once funds are added, you are ready to place a bet.
How To Withdraw Funds:
- Enter your sign-in details to access your online sports betting account.
- Visit the cashier and select the ‘Withdrawal’ option.
- Input the amount you want to remove and choose your banking method.
- Use the instructions provided to remove funds.
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
Whether you are adding funds to your account or removing them, secure banking methods help you with the process.
Operators generally offer the same options, but you may find that one provides additional methods in either category to ensure that every player can take part.
Standard Deposit Methods:
- Interac online
- Online bill payment
- Online banking
Standard Withdrawal Methods:
- Bank transfer
- Online banking
How Do Sports Betting Sign Up Offers Work?
With online sports betting sites, providers offer sign-up deals to entice players to give their site a try. Generally, operators offer similar deals but with varying terms and conditions or bonus cash amounts to try and outdo their competitors.
As a new player, you will commonly find first deposit deals, no deposit offers, and free bets. Each option is a great way to pad your online sports betting account.
Learn more about each deal type to see which one will help you receive the best incentives for your betting style.
First Deposit Offer
Typically, this deal is best for players who are ready to deposit funds. You can activate a first deposit deal with a unique bonus code and receive a bonus cash match. Typically, this deal will offer a 100% match worth up to a specific amount.
Let’s say a BC sportsbook is offering a 100% match worth up to $200. You can deposit as much as $200 and receive the same amount back in bonus funds.
Please note that most bonus deals have wagering requirements you must meet before you can cash out winnings. With the first deposit deal, you will have to wager the bonus and deposit amount a certain number of times.
Review the requirements before activating a deal to ensure you can clear the amount in the allotted time frame.
No Deposit Offer
If you want to earn bonus cash without the need to deposit, then the no deposit offer is the right one for you. This deal provides a set amount of bonus funds instantly.
Usually, this promotion is restricted to a specific sport or bet type. Once you place the bet and win, you will need to deposit cash to be eligible for a payout.
Another excellent option for players is the risk-free wager. This deal allows you to bet a certain amount, and if you lose, the sportsbook provides you the same amount back in bonus cash.
The deal is considered risk-free because if you win, great. You are given the amount in bonus funds if you lose, so technically, you didn’t lose any cash.
Where Can I Place A Bet In British Columbia?
Unfortunately, retail sports betting is nonexistent in British Columbia. The only way you can wager on sports is online via the PlayNow website.
British Columbia Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
Sports betting is legal in British Columbia, with the British Columbia Lottery Corporation overseeing the industry. Right now, the only option for sports betting online is PlayNow.ca.
In the past, the industry was heavily restricted, and players could only access parlays. Thankfully, single-sports game betting was legalized in Canada, and British Columbia began offering the option in August 2021.