Toronto Blue Jays vs. Washington Nationals: Best Odds and Preview for August 18, 2021
Lourdes Gurriel Jr. will look for his 100th hit of the season (he has 98) when the Toronto Blue Jays (63-55) square off against the Washington Nationals (51-68) on Wednesday at 4:05 PM ET. The Blue Jays are favored (-173) over the Nationals (+148). Toronto’s Jose Berrios starts against Washington’s Josiah Gray.
Best Odds for Toronto Blue Jays vs Washington Nationals
Welcome to the BestOdds’ betting breakdown where we use data from our industry leading partner, Sportradar, to identify performance trends in order to analyze teams’ chances to win the upcoming game.
Today, we are looking at the MLB matchup between the Toronto Blue Jays and Washington Nationals in which the Blue Jays are currently the pick among bettors to claim victory.
Blue Jays vs Nationals Moneyline Action
Blue Jays Insights
- The Blue Jays have been favorites in 73 games this season and have come away with the win 40 times (54.8%) in those contests.
- Contests with Toronto have gone over the total set by bookmakers in 57 of 118 chances this season.
- The Blue Jays are among the highest scoring teams in the league, ranking fifth with 610 total runs this season.
- Toronto has played as the favorite in nine of its past 10 games and has gone 3-6 in those contests.
- When it comes to the total, the Blue Jays and their opponents are 7-3 in their previous 10 games.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- The Blue Jays are sending Berrios (1-1) out to make his fourth start of the season. He is 1-1 with a 3.86 ERA and 16 strikeouts in 16 1/3 innings pitched.
- The right-hander last pitched on Friday against the Angels, when he went 4 1/3 innings, allowing six earned runs while giving up eight hits.
- Berrios’ team has a 1-2 record in his starts this season.
- Berrios’ starts went over the run total one time in three games with a set total this season.
|Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||117||.316||.406||.612||35||88||136|
- The Nationals have put together a 20-48 record in games they were listed as the moneyline underdog (winning 29.4% of those games).
- In the 118 games bookmakers have set an over/under for Washington, it has combined with opponents to go over the total 51 times (51-64-3).
- The Nationals score the 18th-most runs in baseball (524 total, 4.4 per game).
- Washington has a 2-8 record from the 10 games it was the underdog on the moneyline over its last 10 matchups.
- Over their last 10 outings, the Nationals and their opponents combined to hit the over seven times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- The Nationals will send Gray (0-1) out to make his fifth start of the season. He is 0-1 with a 4.12 ERA and 31 strikeouts in 24 innings pitched.
- His most recent time out came on Friday against the Braves, when the right-hander tossed six innings, surrendering three earned runs while allowing five hits.
- In Gray’s three starts, his team is 1-2.
- Gray’s starts with a set total this season have hit the over in one of three contests.
BestOdds is where best in class gambling education meets sports betting. We hope you enjoyed our betting preview article.
For more MLB insights and betting odds check all of our MLB content here.