St. Louis Cardinals vs. Chicago Cubs: Best Odds and Preview for October 3, 2021
Willson Contreras is just two hits away from his 100th of the season as his Chicago Cubs (70-91) ready for a matchup against the St. Louis Cardinals (90-71) on Sunday at 3:15 PM ET. The Cubs are underdogs (+152) against the Cardinals (-178).
St. Louis’ Jake Woodford and Chicago’s Alec Mills will take the mound first.
Best Odds for St. Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs
Welcome to the BestOdds betting breakdown where we use data from our industry leading partner, Sportradar, to identify performance trends in order to analyze teams’ chances to win the upcoming game.
Today, we are looking at the MLB matchup between the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs in which the Cardinals are currently the clear pick among bettors at regulated sportsbooks to claim victory.
Cardinals vs Cubs Moneyline Action
|% of Bets||87%||13%|
|% of Stake||91%||9%|
- The Cardinals have been chosen as favorites in 86 games this year and have walked away with the win 54 times (62.8%) in those games.
- St. Louis’ games have gone over the total in 75 of their 161 opportunities.
- The Cardinals have scored the 20th-most runs in the league this season with 704 (4.4 per game).
- In eight games as the favorite over the last 10 matchups, St. Louis has a record of 6-2.
- In their last 10 games with an over/under, the Cardinals and their opponents have combined to clear the total six times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Woodford (3-3 with a 3.88 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 62 2/3 innings pitched) makes the start for the Cardinals, his eighth of the season.
- In his most recent time out on Sunday, the righty tossed 5 1/3 innings against the Cubs, giving up two earned runs while surrendering six hits.
- Woodford’s team has won five of his seven starts.
- Woodford has had seven starts with a total this season, and the teams combined hit the over in three of those outings.
- The Cubs have put together a 30-66 record in games they were listed as the moneyline underdog (winning 31.2% of those games).
- Chicago has had an over/under set by bookmakers 161 times, and has combined with opponents to go over the total in 77 of those games (77-76-8).
- The Cubs score the 21st-most runs in baseball (702 total, 4.4 per game).
- Chicago played as the moneyline underdog for eight of its last 10 games, and went 1-7 in those matchups.
- Over their last 10 outings (all had set totals), the Cubs combined with their opponents to hit the over on the total seven times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- The Cubs are sending Mills (6-7) out to make his 20th start of the season. He is 6-7 with a 5.09 ERA and 86 strikeouts in 115 innings pitched.
- His last time out came on Tuesday against the Pirates, when the righty threw five innings, surrendering six earned runs while giving up seven hits.
- Mills’ team is 7-12 in his 19 starts.
- Mills has started 19 games with a total set by bookmakers this season. The teams have combined to go over the run total in nine of them.
Pick for Cardinals vs. Cubs
The Cardinals are favored to win over the Cubs based on our in-depth games analysis combined with the betting split data provided by regulated betting sites.
BestOdds.com is your destination for all the latest information, education, and offers across sports betting and gambling. Our dedicated team of analysts and writers have been scouring the web to get you the best sports insights, offers in your state, and betting education content.
Support us by signing up to one of our partnering sportsbooks or casinos and make sure to follow us on social!