St. Louis Cardinals vs. Chicago Cubs: Best Odds and Preview for October 2, 2021
Willson Contreras is only two hits away from his 100th of the season as his Chicago Cubs (69-91) ready for a matchup against the St. Louis Cardinals (90-70) on Saturday at 7:15 PM ET. The Cubs are underdogs (+156) against the Cardinals (-181).
St. Louis’ Jon Lester starts against Chicago’s Adrian Sampson.
Best Odds for St. Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs
Welcome to the BestOdds betting breakdown where we use data from our industry leading partner, Sportradar, to identify performance trends in order to analyze teams’ chances to win the upcoming game.
Today, we are looking at the MLB matchup between the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs in which the Cardinals are currently the clear pick among bettors at regulated sportsbooks to claim victory.
Cardinals vs Cubs Moneyline Action
|% of Bets||84%||16%|
|% of Stake||87%||13%|
- The Cardinals have been victorous in 54, or 63.5%, of the 85 contests they have been chosen as favorites in this season.
- St. Louis and their opponents have gone over in 74 of their 160 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Cardinals rank 20th in the league with 695 total runs scored this season.
- St. Louis has competed as the favorite in seven of its past 10 games and has gone 6-1 in those matchups.
- In their previous 10 matchups with a total posted by sportsbooks, the Cardinals and their opponents are 6-4 when it comes to hitting the over.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Lester (7-6) gets the starting nod for the Cardinals in his 28th start of the season. He has a 4.62 ERA in 136 1/3 innings pitched, with 87 strikeouts.
- His most recent time out was on Saturday against the Cubs, when the lefty tossed five innings, surrendering three earned runs while giving up eight hits.
- Over Lester’s 11 starts, his team is 7-4.
- Lester’s starts hit the over on the run total six times in 11 games with a set total this season.
- The Cubs have been the moneyline underdog 95 total times this season. They’ve finished 29-66 in those games.
- Chicago has had an over/under set by oddsmakers 160 times, and has combined with opponents to go over the total in 76 of those games (76-76-8).
- The Cubs are the 21st-highest scoring team in MLB action averaging 4.4 runs per game (693 total).
- Chicago was the underdog on the moneyline seven times in the last 10 games, but lost each matchup.
- In their last 10 matchups (all had set totals), the Cubs combined with their opponents to go over the total seven times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Sampson (1-2) gets the starting nod for the Cubs in his fifth start of the season. He has a 2.87 ERA in 31 1/3 innings pitched, with 21 strikeouts.
- In his last time out on Saturday, the righty threw six innings against the Cardinals, allowing two earned runs while surrendering three hits.
- Sampson’s team has won two of his four starts.
- Sampson’s starts with a set total this season have hit the over in one of four games.
Pick for Cardinals vs. Cubs
An in-depth games analysis combined with the bet split data provided by regulated betting sites favors the Cardinals to win over the Cubs.
BestOdds is where best in class gambling education meets sports betting. We hope you enjoyed our betting preview article.
For more MLB insights and betting odds check all of our MLB content here.