New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox: Best Odds and Preview for August 18, 2021
The New York Yankees (68-52) host the Boston Red Sox (69-53) on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium, beginning at 7:05 PM ET. The Yankees are favored on the moneyline (-118), while the Red Sox are +100 underdogs. The Red Sox are spread favorites (1.5) with +150 odds, despite being the moneyline underdog. Andrew Heaney takes the mound first for New York, and Nick Pivetta is Boston’s choice to start.
Best Odds for New York Yankees vs Boston Red Sox
Welcome to the BestOdds’ betting breakdown where we use data from our industry leading partner, Sportradar, to identify performance trends in order to analyze teams’ chances to win the upcoming game.
Today, we are looking at the MLB matchup between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox in which the Red Sox are currently the pick at sportsbooks based on money wagered, yet the Yankees have picked up a majority of the total number of tickets wagered.
Yankees vs Red Sox Moneyline Action
- The Yankees have been chosen as favorites in 98 games this year and have walked away with the win 56 times (57.1%) in those games.
- New York and their opponents have gone over in 50 of their 120 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Yankees rank 20th in the league with 508 total runs scored this season.
- New York has played as the favorite in seven of its past 10 games and has gone 5-2 in those contests.
- When it comes to the total, the Yankees and their opponents are 4-6 in their last 10 games.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Heaney makes the start for the Yankees, his fourth of the season. He is 1-1 with a 9.00 ERA and 18 strikeouts in 15 innings pitched.
- In his last outing on Thursday against the White Sox, the left-hander tossed five innings, giving up seven earned runs while surrendering five hits.
- Heaney’s team has put together a 2-2 record in his four starts.
- Heaney has started four games with a total set by bookmakers this season. The teams have combined to hit the over in two of them.
Red Sox Insights
- The Red Sox have gone 25-21 in games they were the underdog on the moneyline (winning 54.3% of those games).
- Boston has had an over/under set by oddsmakers 122 times, and has combined with opponents to go over the total in 53 of those games (53-66-3).
- The Red Sox score the sixth-most runs in baseball (609 total, five per game).
- Boston was the underdog on the moneyline for four of its last 10 games, and finished 1-3 in those matchups.
- In their last 10 outings, the Red Sox and their opponents combined to hit the over four times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Pivetta (9-5) is trying for his 10th victory when he takes the mound first for the Red Sox in his 24th start of the season. He’s put together a 4.20 ERA in 124 1/3 innings pitched, with 139 strikeouts.
- The right-hander’s most recent time out was on Friday against the Orioles, when he tossed six innings, surrendering one earned run while giving up three hits.
- In Pivetta’s 23 starts, his team is 15-8.
- Pivetta’s starts with a set total this season have hit the over in 10 of 23 games.
BestOdds is where best in class gambling education meets sports betting. We hope you enjoyed our betting preview article.
For more MLB insights and betting odds check all of our MLB content here.