Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago Cubs: Best Odds and Preview for September 8, 2021
The Cincinnati Reds (74-66) visit the Chicago Cubs (64-76) at 7:40 PM ET on Wednesday at Wrigley Field. The Reds are favored (-131) to break the 1-1 tie and take the series over the Cubs (+112).
Vladimir Gutierrez takes the mound first for Cincinnati, and Alec Mills is Chicago’s pick to start.
Best Odds for Cincinnati Reds vs Chicago Cubs
Welcome to the BestOdds betting breakdown where we use data from our industry leading partner, Sportradar, to identify performance trends in order to analyze teams’ chances to win the upcoming game.
Today, we are looking at the MLB matchup between the Cincinnati Reds and Chicago Cubs in which the Cubs are currently the pick at sportsbooks based on money wagered at regulated sportsbooks, yet the Reds have picked up a majority of the total number of tickets wagered.
Reds vs Cubs Moneyline Action
|% of Bets||55%||45%|
|% of Stake||44%||56%|
- The Reds have been victorous in 49, or 58.3%, of the 84 contests they have been chosen as favorites in this season.
- Cincinnati and its opponents have gone over the total this season in 71 of their 140 opportunities.
- The Reds have scored 692 runs this season, which ranks sixth in MLB.
- Cincinnati has played as the favorite in nine of its past 10 games and has gone 3-6 in those contests.
- In their last 10 games with an over/under, the Reds and their opponents have combined to clear the total four times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Gutierrez (9-6) is trying for his 10th victory when he takes the mound first for the Reds in his 19th start of the season. He has a 4.17 ERA in 99 1/3 innings pitched, with 76 strikeouts.
- His most recent time out came on Friday against the Tigers, when the right-hander threw 3 1/3 innings, surrendering three earned runs while allowing four hits.
- Gutierrez’s team has won 10 of his 18 starts.
- Gutierrez has had 18 starts that oddsmakers set a total for this season, and eight of those outings hit the over.
- The Cubs have a 26-52 record in games they were listed as the moneyline underdog (winning 33.3% of those games).
- Chicago has had an over/under set by oddsmakers 140 times, and has combined with opponents to go over the total in 62 of those games (62-71-7).
- The Cubs have the No. 20 offense in MLB play scoring 4.3 runs per game (602 total runs).
- Chicago played as the moneyline underdog for six of its last 10 games, and finished 4-2 in those matchups.
- Over their last 10 outings (all 10 of them had set totals), the Cubs and their opponents combined to go over the run total five times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Mills makes the start for the Cubs, his 16th of the season. He is 6-6 with a 4.25 ERA and 71 strikeouts in 95 1/3 innings pitched.
- The righty’s last time out came on Friday against the Pirates, when he went 5 2/3 innings, surrendering two earned runs while giving up seven hits.
- Over Mills’ 15 starts, his team is 6-9.
- Mills’ starts went over the run total six times in 15 games with a set total this season.
Pick for Reds vs. Cubs
Bet split data from regulated betting sites combined with our in-depth games analysis points to the Cubs being favored to win over the Reds.
BestOdds is the ultimate website for bettors new and old alike. We offer not just educational content but the latest news and best sports betting odds across regulated sportsbooks.
Bettors of all kinds will find our comparative tools, odds calculators, and insightful articles complete game-changers in their wagering strategies.