Chicago Cubs vs. Pittsburgh Pirates: Best Odds and Preview for September 3, 2021
The Pittsburgh Pirates (48-86) take a four-game road losing streak into a contest against the Chicago Cubs (60-75) on Friday at 2:20 PM ET. The Cubs are favored (-133) to hand the underdog Pirates (+115) another loss.
Chicago has Alec Mills set to start, and Pittsburgh counters Steven Brault.
Best Odds for Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates
Welcome to the BestOdds’ betting breakdown where we use data from our industry leading partner, Sportradar, to identify performance trends in order to analyze teams’ chances to win the upcoming game.
Today, we are looking at the MLB matchup between the Chicago Cubs and Pittsburgh Pirates in which the Cubs are currently the clear pick among bettors at regulated sportsbooks to claim victory.
Cubs vs Pirates Moneyline Action
|% of Bets||90%||10%|
|% of Stake||98%||2%|
- The Cubs have come away with 35 wins in the 59 contests they have been listed as the favorites in this season.
- Chicago and their opponents have gone over in 59 of their 135 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Cubs have scored 571 runs (4.2 per game) this season, which ranks 21st in MLB.
- In three games as the favorite over the last 10 matchups, Chicago has a record of 2-1.
- When it comes to the total, the Cubs and their foes are 6-3-1 in their previous 10 contests.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Mills (6-6 with a 4.32 ERA and 65 strikeouts in 89 2/3 innings pitched) gets the start for the Cubs, his 15th of the season.
- His last appearance was on Saturday against the White Sox, when the righty tossed 8 1/3 scoreless innings while giving up four hits.
- Mills’ team has won five of his 14 starts.
- Mills has had 14 starts that bookmakers set a total for this season, and five of those matchups finished over the total.
- The Pirates have a 43-83 record in games they were the underdog on the moneyline (winning 34.1% of those games).
- Pittsburgh has played in 134 games with an over/under set, and has combined with their opponents to go over the total 63 times (63-65-6).
- The Pirates have the No. 30 offense in baseball scoring 3.6 runs per game (480 total runs).
- Pittsburgh went 3-6 across the nine games it was the underdog on the moneyline in its last 10 matchups.
- Over their last 10 matchups — all of which had a set run total — the Pirates and their opponents combined to hit the over on the total five times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Brault (0-3 with a 4.57 ERA and 14 strikeouts in 21 2/3 innings pitched) gets the start for the Pirates, his sixth of the season.
- In his most recent appearance on Saturday, the left-hander threw three innings against the Cardinals, giving up seven earned runs while surrendering eight hits.
- Brault’s five starts have all ended in defeat for his team this season.
- Brault’s starts hit the over on the run total one time in five games with a set total this season.
Pick for Cubs vs. Pirates
Betting split data from regulated betting sites combined with an in-depth games analysis favors the Cubs to win over the Pirates.
BestOdds.com is your destination for all the latest information, education, and offers across sports betting and gambling. Our dedicated team of analysts and writers have been scouring the web to get you the best sports insights, offers in your state, and betting education content.
Support us by signing up to one of our partnering sportsbooks or casinos and make sure to follow us on social!