Chicago Cubs vs. Pittsburgh Pirates: Best Odds and Preview for September 2, 2021
The Chicago Cubs (59-75) will look to Frank Schwindel, who is currently on a three-game home run streak, when they square off against the Pittsburgh Pirates (48-85). The Cubs are moneyline favorites (-157) for this matchup with the Pirates (+137), which starts at 8:05 PM ET on Thursday at Wrigley Field.
Keegan Thompson gets the starting nod for Chicago, and Mitch Keller is Pittsburgh’s choice to start.
Best Odds for Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates
Welcome to the BestOdds’ betting breakdown where we use data from our industry leading partner, Sportradar, to identify performance trends in order to analyze teams’ chances to win the upcoming game.
Today, we are looking at the MLB matchup between the Chicago Cubs and Pittsburgh Pirates in which the Cubs are currently the clear pick among bettors at regulated sportsbooks to claim victory.
Cubs vs Pirates Moneyline Action
|% of Bets||71%||29%|
|% of Stake||90%||10%|
- The Cubs have been victorous in 34, or 58.6%, of the 58 contests they have been chosen as favorites in this season.
- Chicago and their opponents have gone over in 58 of their 134 games with a total set by sportsbooks this season.
- The Cubs have scored 565 runs (4.2 per game) this season, which ranks 22nd in MLB.
- In three games as the favorite over the last 10 matchups, Chicago has a record of 1-2.
- When it comes to the total, the Cubs and their opponents are 5-4-1 in their previous 10 games.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Thompson (3-3 with a 3.09 ERA and 45 strikeouts in 46 2/3 innings pitched) gets the start for the Cubs, his fourth of the season.
- The right-hander last appeared on Saturday against the White Sox, when he tossed two innings, allowing four earned runs while giving up five hits.
- Thompson’s team has put together a 1-2 record in his three starts.
- Thompson’s starts went over the run total two times in three games with a set total this season.
- The Pirates have won 34.4% of the games this season they were the underdog on the moneyline (43-82).
- Pittsburgh has played in 133 games with over/under set, and has combined with opponents to go over the total 62 times (62-65-6).
- The Pirates score the fewest runs in baseball (475 total, 3.6 per game).
- Pittsburgh was the moneyline underdog for nine of its last 10 games, and went 3-6 in those matchups.
- In their last 10 outings, the Pirates and their opponents combined to hit the over on the total four times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Keller gets the start for the Pirates, his 18th of the season. He is 4-10 with a 6.75 ERA and 68 strikeouts in 72 innings pitched.
- The righty’s last appearance came on Thursday against the Cardinals, when he went 5 1/3 innings, surrendering seven earned runs while giving up six hits.
- Keller’s team has a 7-10 record over his 17 starts.
- Keller’s starts went over the run total nine times in 17 games with a set total this season.
Pick for Cubs vs. Pirates
Bet split data provided by regulated betting sites combined with our in-depth games analysis favors the Cubs to win over the Pirates.
BestOdds is where best in class gambling education meets sports betting. We hope you enjoyed our betting preview article.
For more MLB insights and betting odds check all of our MLB content here.