Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays: Best Odds and Preview for September 8, 2021
Rafael Devers and Brandon Lowe go head-to-head in a battle between top-10 sluggers when the Boston Red Sox (79-62) and the Tampa Bay Rays (88-51) meet at 7:10 PM ET on Wednesday. Devers has 33 homers (sixth in the league) for the favored Red Sox (-113), while Lowe is sixth in MLB play with 33 home runs this season for the underdog Rays (-105).
Boston’s Nathan Eovaldi and Tampa Bay’s Shane McClanahan will start this matchup.
Best Odds for Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays
Welcome to the BestOdds betting breakdown where we use data from our industry leading partner, Sportradar, to identify performance trends in order to analyze teams’ chances to win the upcoming game.
Today, we are looking at the MLB matchup between the Boston Red Sox and Tampa Bay Rays in which the Rays are currently the clear pick at sportsbooks based on money wagered at regulated sportsbooks, yet the Red Sox have picked up a majority of the total number of tickets wagered.
Red Sox vs Rays Moneyline Action
|% of Bets||62%||38%|
|% of Stake||21%||79%|
Red Sox Insights
- The Red Sox have come away with 52 wins in the 90 contests they have been listed as the favorites in this season.
- Boston’s games have gone over the total in 64 of their 141 opportunities.
- The Red Sox have scored 716 runs this season, which ranks third in MLB.
- Boston has competed as the favorite in six of its past 10 games and has gone 2-4 in those matchups.
- When it comes to the over/under, the Red Sox and their foes are 6-4 in their last 10 contests.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- Eovaldi gets the start for the Red Sox, his 28th of the season. He is 10-8 with a 3.73 ERA and 163 strikeouts in 156 2/3 innings pitched.
- The right-hander last appeared on Friday against the Indians, when he went 6 1/3 innings, allowing three earned runs while giving up six hits.
- Eovaldi’s team has a 15-12 record in his starts this season.
- Eovaldi has started 27 games with a total set by bookmakers this season. The teams have combined to hit the over in 13 of them.
- The Rays have been the underdog on the moneyline 47 total times this season. They’ve gone 27-20 in those games.
- Tampa Bay has played in 137 games with an over/under set, and has combined with their opponents to go over the total 75 times (75-57-5).
- The Rays have the No. 1 offense in baseball scoring 5.4 runs per game (756 total runs).
- Tampa Bay was listed as the moneyline underdog by bookmakers just twice in the last 10 games, and won both matchups.
- Over their last 10 matchups (all had set totals), the Rays combined with their opponents to hit the over on the run total six times.
Probable Starting Pitcher Stats
- McClanahan goes for his 10th win when he makes the start for the Rays, his 22nd of the season. He is 9-5 with a 3.76 ERA and 125 strikeouts in 105 1/3 innings pitched.
- His last time out came on Thursday against the Red Sox, when the left-hander threw five innings, surrendering four earned runs while giving up eight hits.
- In McClanahan’s 21 starts, his team is 13-8.
- McClanahan’s starts with a set total this season have hit the over in eight of 21 contests.
Pick for Red Sox vs. Rays
The Rays are favored to win over the Red Sox based on our in-depth statistical analysis combined with the betting split data from regulated betting sites.
BestOdds is where best in class gambling education meets sports betting. We hope you enjoyed our betting preview article.
For more MLB insights and betting odds check all of our MLB content here.